Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Grout problem in shower area in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
D

Dumbo

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Just thinking does anybody know of a laboratory where tilers could send samples for test as we only rely on what we are being told by manufacturers that there is nothing wrong with their product .

OP
J

J Sid

I have registered the issue with BAL and Topps as per their procedure and I am waiting for an appointment for technicians from both to visit together. Apparently they will do test samples and they will test the batch number of samples they hold. I will be very surprised if either agree responsibility and this will probably waste more time but if I do not try, I'll never know. The thought of having to rake our 20 sqm of grout without damaging the tiles is a nightmare.
if it was me I'd post on twitter a few pick and a brief description and that you eagerly await a visit and tag both topps and Bal in.
keep them on the ball :)

OP
J

Jon B

Slight change, I have a manager from Topps visiting in the morning to take photos and samples for BAL. Apparently BAL told him that mixing the grout too dry can cause grout not to dry properly. I have been mixing grout for nearly 20 years on 3 or 4 bathrooms a year and I cannot think I ever mixed grout "too dry", it is always a creamy paste thick enough not to drip off a grout spreader, always by hand, enough to do about 2m square a time and I never add water after the initial mix. We will see in the morning.

OP
D

Dumbo

Slight change, I have a manager from Topps visiting in the morning to take photos and samples for BAL. Apparently BAL told him that mixing the grout too dry can cause grout not to dry properly. I have been mixing grout for nearly 20 years on 3 or 4 bathrooms a year and I cannot think I ever mixed grout "too dry", it is always a creamy paste thick enough not to drip off a grout spreader, always by hand, enough to do about 2m square a time and I never add water after the initial mix. We will see in the morning.
As I have stated on this forum before .
Too wet ,too dry , too hot ,too cold, insert as appropriate. Plus you can't prove any different

OP
J

Jon B

Topps have taken photos and samples for BAL. I am expecting a call from BAL for their own visit. The implication of what I am hearing so far is that I have not followed the manufacturer instructions for mixing: "Slowly add approximately 5 parts powder to 1 part clean cold water by weight". Am I being told I should weigh it out? I have been mixing for years and surely the texture you want to achieve becomes second nature. They are saying Micromax must be mixed in that particular ratio. I will wait to hear the test results and what the local BAL technician has to say. But I feel I am wasting my time and should just get on with weighing out my new mix for re-grouting!

OP
D

Dumbo

Topps have taken photos and samples for BAL. I am expecting a call from BAL for their own visit. The implication of what I am hearing so far is that I have not followed the manufacturer instructions for mixing: "Slowly add approximately 5 parts powder to 1 part clean cold water by weight". Am I being told I should weigh it out? I have been mixing for years and surely the texture you want to achieve becomes second nature. They are saying Micromax must be mixed in that particular ratio. I will wait to hear the test results and what the local BAL technician has to say. But I feel I am wasting my time and should just get on with weighing out my new mix for re-grouting!
Maybe you should weigh and see if you get same prob

OP
J

Jon B

Good idea! Yesterday BAL told me to mix a small amount on to a scrap tile which I did. This morning when Topps visited, the grout softened when made wet just like the grout lines.
So I pinched the wife's scales, put on a small mixing bowl and set the scales to 0. I added 4 grams cold water, then grout to take it up to 24 grams so 4 grams water 20 grams grout 5:1 ratio. I have put the mix thinly next to the first sample. It will be interesting to see what it is like tomorrow.
Does anybody mix grout this accurately?

OP
I

Italy

Good idea! Yesterday BAL told me to mix a small amount on to a scrap tile which I did. This morning when Topps visited, the grout softened when made wet just like the grout lines.
So I pinched the wife's scales, put on a small mixing bowl and set the scales to 0. I added 4 grams cold water, then grout to take it up to 24 grams so 4 grams water 20 grams grout 5:1 ratio. I have put the mix thinly next to the first sample. It will be interesting to see what it is like tomorrow.
Does anybody mix grout this accurately?
jon hey, do not go into paranoia, you did nothing wrong, from what I understand.
I've always done grouting, as I like it, hard or liquid. only changes the color.
whether they indemnify, okay.
or, the negative publicity has already been made here. ;)

Reply to Grout problem in shower area in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock