Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Grout not uniform colour in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Good evening,

I'm about to pull my last few hairs out!!!! I have just grouted a bathroom with BAL micromax 2 gunmetal grout, I have never had a problem with it until now!! The tiles were glazed porcelain. I went in today after grouting yesterday, and the grout is very very patchy! The colour is darker in some places then others. I told the customer i thought it was 'still drying', I know it isn't, but I've come away desperately looking for a solution. Is there something I can go over the grout with to make it look a more uniform colour? Has anyone else had this happen to them before?! Im really grateful for any replays to help out a very stressed tiler in need. Thanks

Reaction score
I've had this exact problem with this coloured bal grout. Technical advised I'd applied too much water during the buffing process and caused the salts to surface. They advised scrubbing bleach in to the joints - I never tried this so can't advise if it was successful or not.

D

Dumbo

I've had this with mapei . I don't like modern grouts but have learn to live with them . Apparently light application of grout remover well diluted is good never tried it . White vinegar is another never tried it but I gave mine a light dusting over with sand paper and it removed a surface laitence. Don't use coloured sand paper green or yellow as will colour grout . I am stuffed if I know how grout manufacturers expect us to clean grout off textured tiles with out using to much water .

jobdone

TF
Reaction score
Never had a problem with mm2 but have with ardex. it so so bad that after leaving for 3 weeks and washing down again with power clean and it still being very patchy went over the whole lot with mapai fuga seal in grey. worked a treat and was very pleased. the tiles were ceramics.

T

Tile Shop

It could be either efflorescence caused by too much water in the mix (this draws all the salts in the cement to the surfaces as its drying giving you lighter patches). Using something like LTP Grout Stain Remover will shift that (try a test area first).

Or it could be too much water during the clean off, which draws the polymers of the grout to the surface (which gives darker patches). For that you need try the LTP Power Stripper first, then Solvex if you need something a little more........ brutal.

From experience of past issues, Micromax 2 throws a real hissy fit if you don't get it 100% spot on. Other grouts are way more forgiving. If you want a good flexible anti-mould grout in the future, Mapei Ultracolour Plus takes some beating and its efflorescence free. But you still need to make sure you don't over wet it when cleaning it off.

I

Italy

It could be either efflorescence caused by too much water in the mix (this draws all the salts in the cement to the surfaces as its drying giving you lighter patches). Using something like LTP Grout Stain Remover will shift that (try a test area first).

Or it could be too much water during the clean off, which draws the polymers of the grout to the surface (which gives darker patches). For that you need try the LTP Power Stripper first, then Solvex if you need something a little more........ brutal...

hoooo, music to my ears. thanks

F

Flintstone

I had the same problem with dark grey Mapei rapid set grout on some pebble mosaic, real bad

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Diluted phosphoric acid works a treat if it's caused by excessive polymers. Obviously you wouldn't use that on natural stone but will be fine for your porcs.

H

hmtiling

I thought mm2 was efflorescence free?
I find it more user friendly than ucp and ucp 113 is the only one I've had go patchy.
I used the fuga fresca which sorted it nicely.

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I mostly use mm2 and dont have any problems with patching but as for Mapeis ultra ? well...

Reply to Grout not uniform colour in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock