Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Grout efflorescence in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
My kitchen diner floor - about 25sqm - was tiled 3-4 months ago, and the tiles look lovely (done by me) but the grout looks awful (also done by me).

The problem I have is that white salty deposits keep appearing on the surface of the grout after it gets wet, and it's getting worse. Considering it gets mopped at least once a week, it gets wet often. Whatever I did wrong (too much water in the mix, too much water when sponging down, who knows) I'm kicking myself, because it looks horrid. The grout was meant to be black, but now it's varying shades of very light to dark-ish grey, and is very splotchy.

Three questions:
1. Can I remove the stains?
2. Can I prevent this happening in future?
3. Will grout colourant and sealer (like Aqua mix) restore the colour and prevent this happening in future?

Many thanks,
One pee'd off homeowner.

OP
S

Sean SML Tiling

By the sound of it you have left too much water on the grout which has caused the efflorescence.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It will be the polymers causing the problem, generally too much water when cleaning up, more and more grouts are having this problem

OP
P

pablo79

The long awaited results...

It was Mapei Ultracolour in black.

I clearly made a ****-up here by using too much water on the clean up. Anyone know what I can do about it?

Reply to Grout efflorescence in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock