Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Grout drying patchy/efflorescence ? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I've noticed in recent times that some of the grouts I use seem to suddenly have a tendency to dry patchy or suffer from efflorescence. I try not to use Granfix on anything in a dark colour but now it seems to be happening with Mapei.

I use a washboy but it didn't cause any problems in the past.

Has anybody else noticed this 'trend' or should I not use the washboy anymore.

Could anybody recommend an alternative brand where this doesn't happen.

lewie

G

Gazzer

It can happen and generally its down to too much water when washing off or bad mixing.
For most grouts now its Tilemastrer for me, havent had any issues at all as yet.

Reaction score
I find the weber pro-joint is fine with no issues, but not everyone likes the finish as it's very smooth, some still like the coarse sandy grouts, but, if you do get it too wet, you don't get the colour difference so much, but you can get a lot of air bubbles. :thumbsup:

Reaction score
Evening Lewie. Why don't you give our Grout 3000 a go? All colours we offer are made with white cement. It is generally the free lime in grouts that cause the patchy finish and white cement contains far less free lime than grey cement, hence we have good success with the finished colour of Grout 3000.
Let me know if you would like samples arranging.

M

Mr Tiler

Evening Lewie. Why don't you give our Grout 3000 a go? All colours we offer are made with white cement. It is generally the free lime in grouts that cause the patchy finish and white cement contains far less free lime than grey cement, hence we have good success with the finished colour of Grout 3000.
Let me know if you would like samples arranging.
do you stock in the wolverhamopton area mate wouldn't mind trying it ive only ever used maxi grout and none of it has ever dried patchy though so cant nock it mind you I don't use a wash boy just a bucket and sponge

G

Gazzer

do you stock in the wolverhamopton area mate wouldn't mind trying it ive only ever used maxi grout and none of it has ever dried patchy though so cant nock it mind you I don't use a wash boy just a bucket and sponge

Widerange Tiles In Wordsley nr Kingswinford is your nearest I think.

M

Mr Tiler

[DLMURL="http://www.widerangetiles.co.uk/shop/page/1?sessid=Q1XEB57pDwh2aXax3Vq1nrbRdyAVwgfA5fz0fcCZPyXj2KQOJyoGaIbOgYb4epcs&shop_param"]Home - Wide Range Tiles[/DLMURL]=
does that floor look level to you Neale? lol thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I mainly use bal , weber or Dunlop grouts and have never had any problems with them, but this week I've been using bostix floor grout , and have found it to be a bit patchy , first time and last time I'll be using it !

Reply to Grout drying patchy/efflorescence ? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock