Discuss Grey Limestone in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

detiling

Hello all,

A friend of mine has a wet room tiled with grey limestone and is having a problem with white patches within the shower area. I have attached a couple of photos, just wondering if any of you stone experts are able to diagnose the cause and a possible solution. Job was done about 18months ago and this starting happening about 6 months ago. Was sealed with LTP mattstone.

Thanks in advance.

20151015_170831.jpg 20151015_170823.jpg

D

detiling

No idea, he claims he hasn't used any chemicals on it. Only went to see it the other night and my mates on holiday so haven't had a chance to speak to him proper. Have spoken with Jason at Universeal and he has given me some pointers. Appreciate that its difficult to diagnose from pictures.

C

Concrete guy

It looks like soap scum/limescale residue on the surface?

Difficult to tell without physically looking at it.

P

p4ulo

Yeah, my thought was limescale too.
There are some very good "everyday" cleaning products for treated stone out there.
Don't use a Limescale remover, it'll remove the tiles too!!
My missus uses this in our Polished Porc Wetroom:

Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Does the affected areas feel smooth or are they slightly coarser ?
When you wet the surface or use the shower does the stone darken down when wiped away or water is still repelling with the impregnator?
Is the stone outside off the door affected the same way or does it stop where the water would run down?

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

ok looking at this it was over sealed leaving a layer on the surface the hot water from the shower is melting it but not enghouht to release so what you are seeing is happening between the tile and the seal strip off that top layer of seal. test for sealing on the tile after. few beads of water will do does it sit on the surface or soak in .if it sits on the suface leave it alone .if not reseal but dont over seal . just a guess

Reply to Grey Limestone in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks