Discuss Getting accurate cuts for trim in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Fourcircles

Hello again! Quick question:

What is the best way to get accurate, level cuts on all tiles around the window frame so that the trim sits flush?

I am at this point now - all my cuts so far have been with a wet saw and have turned out ok, but my understanding with trim is that you have very little room for error. It doesn't help either that my reveals aren't completely level.

My tiles are 600x300 so I can't use the wet saw guide.

Thanks in advance

W

WetSaw

Why can't you use the guide on the saw?
If not just mark with a pencil and cut slowly. A diamond pad can clean up the edge if its not smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

What wet cutter do you have?

As far as level cuts go, measure off the end of the fixed tile to the window reveal, find the highest/widest point, and use that measurement all the way along.
When you put your piece on and space it, that extra 2mm will lift the tile enough so that when you stick the trim and tile in the reveal, you'll get a good level edge to go to.
Pack out level in the reveal.
Make sure there is a small fall on the cill.

F

Fourcircles

What wet cutter do you have?

As far as level cuts go, measure off the end of the fixed tile to the window reveal, find the highest/widest point, and use that measurement all the way along.
When you put your piece on and space it, that extra 2mm will lift the tile enough so that when you stick the trim and tile in the reveal, you'll get a good level edge to go to.
Pack out level in the reveal.
Make sure there is a small fall on the cill.

Thanks for your reply.

Hopefully the photos explain the problem I'm having. Are they just bad cuts? I might be missing something but obviously the trim is perfectly level so the tiles need to match for it to look decent, is that right?

Cheers

IMG_8815.JPG IMG_8817.JPG IMG_8819.JPG

O

Old Mod

Thanks for your reply.

Your cuts are too small, should come up higher and the quality of the cut could be improved.
Move more slowly through the machine and make sure the water level is correct,
even if you do get wet. :p
Then you can tidy the edge with a carborundum stone.
Must admit if I'm honest you need more practice with the cutter.
Do you not have a slide cutter, a mechanical one?

Need to make sure that front face of tile is level if not slightly higher than the back of the tile, otherwise the back of the tile pushes trim away.
And you should have a 2mm gap between tile and trim.

Red arrow front of tile lower than the back.
Green arrow back of tile higher than front.
Blue arrow cill to high, tile too low. You want that the other way around.

IMG_0886.PNG

The finishing touches are what make or break an install, so you have to decide as to how much time and effort you're willing to put in and how perfect or not you want it to look.
I know we all want it to look perfect, but looking perfect can be a far cry from actually being perfect.
Some minor discrepancies can be hidden with grout or silicone, others, not so much.
The line between trim and tile is not so easy to disguise.
If you really want that trim edge perfect then you need to adjust the way you're doing things otherwise you just won't be happy.
It can be done, but it's time and effort.
There's nothing wrong with it 'looking' right.
And most of the time, that's how things are done.
So it 'looks' right.
But straightening your cuts is a must, even if you want it to 'look' right.
There are ways to do it with machinery instead of a stone, if you find the stone too much hard work.

O

Old Mod

On your wet cutter issue of guide fence, it does fit both sides of the cutting wheel so there should be no problem using it, and if you're still hindered, turn tile upside down.
Are you sure there's no pull out table to one side?
Normally left side.

F

Fourcircles

Must admit if I'm honest you need more practice with the cutter.
Do you not have a slide cutter, a mechanical one?

Unfortunately I don't have a mechanical cutter, but I'm willing to buy/hire one. What do you recommend? The tiles are 9mm.

The finishing touches are what make or break an install, so you have to decide as to how much time and effort you're willing to put in and how perfect or not you want it to look.
It can be done, but it's time and effort.

I agree. It is my own small, spare bathroom so I am willing to spend a decent amount of time on getting it right.

I guess I'll have another go with the wet saw, taking on board your advice.

Cheers

F

Fourcircles

On your wet cutter issue of guide fence, it does fit both sides of the cutting wheel so there should be no problem using it, and if you're still hindered, turn tile upside down.
Are you sure there's no pull out table to one side?
Normally left side.

O

Old Mod

I guess I'll have another go with the wet saw, taking on board your advice.

Cheers

I would, shouldn't be any need to spend more on a slide cutter.
If the fence won't fit on the side of the tile you want to keep, put it on the side of the off cut. And if you're removing 20mm for example, practice more by cutting 10mm off at a time till you're comfortable with it. Just don't force it thro.
Those small machines have very limited power and are inherently slow.
Plus the blades are not always the best. You can improve the efficiency by changing the blade.
Will depend on your blade size and bore as to what you can replace it with.

W

WetSaw

Don't forget the thickness of tile and adhesive on the reveal. The face tile normally wants to be at least the height of the reveal, slightly higher gives you a bit of room to play with if the window allows.

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Scribe the L shape cut , angle grind into the corner of that L shape , snap out the 2 pieces. That should do you without spending money on a wet cutter.

Diggy

O

Old Mod

Scribe the L shape cut , angle grind into the corner of that L shape , snap out the 2 pieces. That should do you without spending money on a wet cutter.

Diggy
He has a wet cutter Digs, no slide cutter. Just trouble using the fence.

F

Fourcircles

I would, shouldn't be any need to spend more on a slide cutter.
If the fence won't fit on the side of the tile you want to keep, put it on the side of the off cut. And if you're removing 20mm for example, practice more by cutting 10mm off at a time till you're comfortable with it. Just don't force it thro.
Those small machines have very limited power and are inherently slow.
Plus the blades are not always the best. You can improve the efficiency by changing the blade.
Will depend on your blade size and bore as to what you can replace it with.

Thanks for the suggestions! Im doing what I always do - putting it off! I am fortunate enough to be able to lend a manual cutter, so hopefully I'll have some more success with that.

Cheers

Reply to Getting accurate cuts for trim in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks