Discuss Garage floor advice... in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Back again...

Dear all,

Got a large garage floor c 40sqm+ which is going to be used for vehicles.
It'll be a new concrete floor and the customer has chosen a form of slate tile that needs to sealed (not seen them yet but think they are 300 x 300) so my questions are...

Once sub floor has fully dried out etc...

Should I require a sub floor e.g. durabase matting ?
Recommended adhesives - slow set flexible and certain brand from experiences?
Size of trowel - guessing I need 100% coverage so back buttering on a 6mm trowel ?

I'll leave one expansion joint for 'belt and braces' and use 3mm spacers
Also use a bevelled trim at the entrance

Any other suggestions gratefully accepted

Cheers in advance (as always)

M

Matt Bott

I don't think 6mm trowel + backbuttering would give you 100% you may need to go bigger

F

Flintstone

I was going to comment on the 6mm but thought there were other concerns. 300x300 slate is usually riven slate, usually cheap, and usually incredibly fragile and uneven

Reaction score
sorry to have raised eyebrows but just hear me out ...,

Re. 6mm trowel.... I've always used 10mm or a 'tiger' trowel (so called be my independent supplier for its gauge!!!) . I saw on an earlier thread that there were concerns raised getting 100% coverage with 10mm which is clearly essential and assumed the 6mm back buttered would minimise air trap potential.

Re tiles.... as I explained I haven't seen them so maybe I've got the facts wrong but I have. Even told they are slate effect and need sealing - I guess the tile will be fit for purpose as the customer is fairly switched on

So hopefully I've clarified points and calmed concerns !!!!! Still open to advise so thanks again in advance

Reaction score
In what context!!!!! ?
i clearly assumed something incorrectly....smaller gauge less air potential... sounds silly now Can we now move on from the 6mm trowel comment !?

F

Flintstone

in answer to your question regarding uncoupling. I would probably suggest a thin anti crack mat.

L

LM

@Olde Navy the quality of slate is going to be imperative in this installation.
Slate could be a poor choice for a covering in this type of application.
Poor quality slates are very fragile and the twisting and turning of a tyre with such a high point load could cause the slate to laterally delaminate.
Is the slate calibrated and what experience have you of installing uncalibrated slate because that alone would answer a lot of the questions regarding notch selection.
Notch choice could be irrelevant if it's uncalibrated.
In regards to exspansion what shape is the room, you mention that it's approximately upwards of 40 square metres but what is the longest run, are any of the walls full glass?

Reaction score
Hi Lee Mac
As mentioned I don't factually know the spec of the tile but appreciate this is critical... I will find out and make sure all parties are aware of the challenges and thanks for your pointers.
There are no glass walls. Re sizing I'm not sure of dimensions but will find out.

The major lesson I have learned is not to post a thread on here without very clear information and facts. (My Saturday evening throw away conversation approach back-firedo_O:()

I guess the main area of interest was the adhesive - I'll ring a few manufacturers:)

Great that people bother to respond and try to help me - really appreciate it :thumbsup:

O

Old Mod

The major lesson I have learned is not to post a thread on here without very clear information and facts. (My Saturday evening throw away conversation approach back-firedo_O:()

You're throw away conversation did not backfire.
It was just a misunderstanding I'm sure.
Stop beating yourself up about something that doesn't even matter mate.
My word if we all worried about posting something that wasn't clearly understood by everyone, we'd of all stopped posting years ago.
We all feel at some point we've posted something we shouldn't, and yet we were all worried about nothing. Cos ultimately, the only person who is bothered by it is you. So chill geezer, it's kool! :)

Reply to Garage floor advice... in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks