Discuss French pattern Travertine in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

craigy

TF
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a beginner starting another room at my home here in the US and want to do the French pattern again. Have unfilled unpolished chiseled stone and the tiles are 8x8, 8x16, 16x16 and 16x24. I understand the pattern but when you add the grout line to two 8's it ends up wider than the 16 it is going next to. What would a pro do? Should i cut off the chisels against the walls if there will be no trim?
I've seen it done two ways, one is what i call fudged, the other had the stone laid tight and grouted the chisels full. I like to see the chisels and want to clean the grout out of them.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Craigy,

Can you not open up the pattern so the grout joints are a bit bigger and can deal with the slight difference?

S

Simon benn Leeds

Hi everyone, I am a beginner starting another room at my home here in the US and want to do the French pattern again. Have unfilled unpolished chiseled stone and the tiles are 8x8, 8x16, 16x16 and 16x24. I understand the pattern but when you add the grout line to two 8's it ends up wider than the 16 it is going next to. What would a pro do? Should i cut off the chisels against the walls if there will be no trim?
I've seen it done two ways, one is what i call fudged, the other had the stone laid tight and grouted the chisels full. I like to see the chisels and want to clean the grout out of them.
Hi

Can you butt (your American you'll probably laugh at the use of butt ha) on a serious note butt the tiles up 2x8s to a 16 and run a grinder down the joint once set to give you the grout line?
We used to have to do this with old Dennis of ruabon quarry tiles!. Some of the 'senior' tilers may remember this?.
And I take it by French pattern you mean French sets?.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Opus pattern.

Everytime. Everytime, I've fixed these when it's stone I've had to cut down the 8" square to suit. Around 2-4mm each time.

I'd suggest cutting them ad you go and then recreating the edge on the cuts.

I wouldn't precut them all first because depending on the quality of your stone the difference can vary, and the pieces are not always square.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
I guess I can do either of the two latter suggestions but geez!! lot of extra work. Lucky I am not doing it as a job for someone that I quoted first! Tough to recreate the chiseled edge on hundreds of tiles or fill a finished room with grinding dust if I did set them first. I think I'll do what Dan says but close the pattern and make the joints tighter and deal with it..
You'd think the quarry would cut these tiles the right size to allow for grout dimensions.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
It seems like the distributors aren't interested in these details unless you buy tons and tons of tile per year from them.

S

Simon benn Leeds

I found a lot of them always seemed to have one side not square!.

In terms of grinding the joint I'd only recommend if on site with a powerful vaccume behind the blade, not to be done in the home.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I think I'll do what Dan says but close the pattern and make the joints tighter and deal with it..
You'd think the quarry would cut these tiles the right size to allow for grout dimensions.

You font want to be closing, you want to widen the common joint size. The smaller stones are too hig. A 5mm joint over the whole floor will give you around 2mm aroubd the 8" tiles.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
You font want to be closing, you want to widen the common joint size. The smaller stones are too hig. A 5mm joint over the whole floor will give you around 2mm aroubd the 8" tiles.

I have to lay it out dry to see. I thought if the 8s are too big, that a wider joint between them would make them even bigger, layed next to a 16 or a 8 and a 16 layed next to a 24

Last edited by a moderator:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I have to lay it out dry to see. I thought if the 8s are too big, that a wider joint between them would make them even bigger, layed next to a 16 or a 8 and a 16 layed next to a 24

if the 8's are too big to fit in the pattern with your selected joint space, then all the other joint space in the pattern will need to be made bigger to compensate.

personally these leads to more issues and can look unsightly. Especially if some of your stone is not square. It could end up looking a mess.

use a slow set adhesive and be prepared to trim some dtone as you go.

Reply to French pattern Travertine in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks