Discuss Floor preparation - suspended floors in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Sorry this has probably been discussed to death here in the past but...
I have been preparing suspended floors by over-boarding with 6mm backer boards then applying a decoupling membrane. I understand this to be the method for chipboard floors but is this excessive for say, tongue and groove floor boards? or 18mm ply? I ask because this obviously drives up the cost and I want to be competetive while playing safe!

O

Old Mod

The decoupler is not necessarily required if your are overboarding with tile backer boards.
It'd depend on the material you're fitting on top, and possibly the environment.
Porcelain, not so much, stone definitely.
Ceramic, could definitely help.
You can use the 1mm antifracture mats, (you may already use them) doesn't need to be full decoupler like Dural or Ditra.

J

J Sid

for me its floor size, amount of bounce in floor, tile choice and end use of room.
Depending on the answers to these questions will depend on which method I would use to prep floor.

D

Dumbo

The decoupler is not necessarily required if your are overboarding with tile backer boards.
It'd depend on the material you're fitting on top, and possibly the environment.
Porcelain, not so much, stone definitely.
Ceramic, could definitely help.
You can use the 1mm antifracture mats, (you may already use them) doesn't need to be full decoupler like Dural or Ditra.
Why do you refer to 1mm mats as full decoupling i thought 3 ply mats were to allow for limited amount of lateral movement. Do dural and ditra allow more .

Reaction score
So I guess there's no real definitive answer and it's subjective. Does anyone have a way of measuring bounce? or do you go on gut feeling?

D

Dumbo

I knew there was a reason I was more comfortable using dural . Funny thing bal reckon their rapid mat is the best thing ever even though it isn't waterproof and can't double up as a tanking membrane like some .

O

One Day

Why do you refer to 1mm mats as full decoupling i thought 3 ply mats were to allow for limited amount of lateral movement. Do dural and ditra allow more .

Dural I can't speak for - only used it once and to me it's a cheap copy.
Ditra allows for a crazy amount of movement. I saw test videos Schluter produced but never released - After watching those, I will only ever use Ditra.

Rosco100

TF
Arms
Reaction score
So I guess there's no real definitive answer and it's subjective. Does anyone have a way of measuring bounce? or do you go on gut feeling?

Easiest way to measure deflection on a floor is to put a glass of water (full) in the middle of the floor and jump up and down and if the water exits the glass it not strong enough

R

Rookery

Put a cross hair laser in middle of floor and walk purposefully around it, if there's bounce in the floor you'll see vibration in the horizontal line.
That's what I do to show customers just how much bounce there is in their floor and why I'm over-boarding it (with Hardie). I would only uncouple if fixing natural stone, using Durabase most likely or maybe Ditra.

J

J Sid

That's what I do to show customers just how much bounce there is in their floor and why I'm over-boarding it (with Hardie). I would only uncouple if fixing natural stone, using Durabase most likely or maybe Ditra.
so do you do the same test with a laser after you have fitted the Hardie to show have much its improved (or not) ?

Reply to Floor preparation - suspended floors in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks