Discuss First Time Limestone Floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

U

Unused Account 1

If your notused of a grinder ,i suggest a wet cutter ,i still like to use mine on stone ,good luck ,get a good blade make the job easier for u

S

Stef

Thanks, that means a lot coming from you.

As for seeing it a year on ..........this job is from June 2014..customer hasn't called to say any problems.......so I take it is still perfect.
June 2014?? You stated that it wasn't long ago, I wouldn't like to hang around waiting on you for a meeting Tom!! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

S

Stef

Stef, that floor is knackerd anyway no Matter what your fixing to it.
I already stated the sub floor wasn't good but a decoupler would have gave the floor a chance to last at least a certain length of time.
The full floor needs ripped out & redone.

Makone

TF
Reaction score
So there have been some hold ups but I've finally got going. I laid the fracture matting - I asked for ditra and got just that fabric gear - and 16m of stone on Friday. The client has been in over the weekend and doesn't like the colour of the stone - too brown - is there anything I can do to lighten it somehow? Feels like a long shot but I thought id ask before they make me knock it all up again..

Makone

TF
Reaction score
So there have been some hold ups but I've finally got going. I laid the fracture matting - I asked for ditra and got just that fabric gear - and 16m of stone on Friday. The client has been in over the weekend and doesn't like the colour of the stone - too brown - is there anything I can do to lighten it somehow? Feels like a long shot but I thought id ask before they make me knock it all up again..

U

Unused Account 1

You can only really ask for a light or dark batch ,seal a tile up a few times to show the customer ,once the colour comes out they might like it better ,worth a try

T

Tile Shop

Thats a soul destroying position to be in. We had a similar issue with travertine which was being laid onto Aquapanel.

Customer had a sample and liked the colour originally, ordered the tiles, tiler half fitted them and the customer complained they were too dark. We asked her to hold the sample up against it the following day to leave the adhesive to set, and sure enough they were the same shade. She was then happy to let the tiler continue.

I'm willing to bet that if the customer left viewing it until it was complete, they wouldn't complain. But the contrast between the stone and such a light background, exaggerates the contrast making the tiles appear darker. Kinda like an optical illusion. If they were happy with the colour before you started, lay a loose tile down and see if this is the case.

Couple of other factors to take into account.... Lighting, and grout. Grouting in a light colour will also lighten the overall appearance. Maybe try grouting a few tiles in good lighting to see if it alters their opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to First Time Limestone Floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks