Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss First Time Limestone Floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

S

Stef

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Sorry I have no before or during photos but here is one I did not long ago...soft as turkish ceramics..... no decoupler fixed in sand and cement onto a concrete base......

View attachment 81781 View attachment 81782
I'm not on here for an argument but I would like to see that floor in a years time.
As stated "If" the screed is installed correctly there shouldn't be an issue.

C

Camper

"If the screed is installed properly"
If every screed was fitted this way then there would be no problem, that's where the decoupler comes into its own.
My pictures above are nothing to do with a movement join not being fitted.
No run is more than 3m long & is broken across the door ways, it was a badly fitted screed.

It's true screed is rarely fitted by code. I suspect the reason for this is ignorance and/or price/time pressure.
However laying a decoupler just because it's stone and we have an anhydrite screed is also not code. This is my disagreement. It's not a prerequisite for a properly installed floor. Furthermore the decoupler is not a replacement for movement joints. Without movement joints your stone will crack even with a decoupler.

It is paramount that the OP inspect the screed, and have all issues rectified before laying the stone. And that all movement joints are kept intact and functional after the stone is set. This will ensure a long lasting floor.

F

Flintstone

Would you still insist on decoupling on an old screed that's been down many many years and still fine, maybe an origional concrete floor?

OP
M

Makone

TF
Reaction score
right lads, appreciate all the advice. so i went to the client and suggested decoupling, got a flat out no in reply, i said in that case i make no guarantees, the client says couldn't give a toss just get it done.. who am i to argue? fascinating thread btw does it always get so heated round here? :D some lovely pics there too..
start next week I'll let you know how it goes..

OP
M

Makone

TF
Reaction score
The Anhydrate-Screed needs to be prepped properly!

1) Calcium-Carbide Moister measurement test. The moisture can't exceed 0.5% (with UFH 0.3%)
2) Laitence layer removed
3) Prime
4) tile can begin
5)Decoupling is not needed, to avoid cracking(longevity) movement joints need to be installed correctly!
i've been told by the builder that laitence has been removed. the screed was laid three months ago so hopefully its gone off..

O

Old Mod

Haha heated! This thread?
That's not heated, it's just a healthy debate! :p
I bet you never thought u'd have such an impact on your first day tho did u? Haha :D
Well at least you know where u stand with the client, so that's a good thing!
Yeah be very interesting to see how you go Harry.
Remember, if u get stuck, start a new thread!!!! Hahahaha
Good luck.

OP
M

Makone

TF
Reaction score
Haha heated! This thread?
That's not heated, it's just a healthy debate! :p
I bet you never thought u'd have such an impact on your first day tho did u? Haha :D
Well at least you know where u stand with the client, so that's a good thing!
Yeah be very interesting to see how you go Harry.
Remember, if u get stuck, start a new thread!!!! Hahahaha
Good luck.
hahaha yeah wasn't expecting that to be honest.. ill post some pics when its done. cheers for the luck i may yet need it!!

O

Old Mod

hahaha yeah wasn't expecting that to be honest.. ill post some pics when its done. cheers for the luck i may yet need it!!
Well, we'll be here if u get stuck! :D
Progress pics, we love them too! :)
U can create an album on your media page then they'll always be easily accessible.
Then if anyone wants to see what you're all about, they'll be able to see your work.
And if u want to look at other members, just click their avatar above their name and ill see either 'media page' or 'albums page'
image.jpeg

T

Time's Ran Out

just work super clean, seal once laid, grout, seal again. thats the plan. anything i should know?

I'd be tempted to seal limestone as you get them out of the crate. Any moisture from sponges, https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, hands etc will dry at different times and leave damp patchy areas when you come to seal it.
There is a line of thought that would suggest you will be trapping the moisture from the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ in, but by using a fast set flexible and flat skimming the back of the tiles, it's not something that I've encountered.

Reply to First Time Limestone Floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock