Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss First Time Limestone Floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Makone

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I have a 70m limestone floor to do and having never done one before I have a few questions for you good people.
the tiles are between 700 and 1100mm to be laid randomly, honed, with a rustic affect, light but not white in colour. i have a 900mm sigma but I'm guessing that the tile will be too soft to score and break. is that right? and if so what would you suggest for cutting? all i have is a battery grinder or a 750w wet cutter. guessing the wet cutter is better but will that stain the tiles? any special wheel needed?
also its going on a anhydrite screed - beautifully flat - any advice on what type of primer to use and/or any technique for application would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

O

Old Mod

Nice easy one to start then! :)
Under floor heating?
Wet cutter or grinder, either or, personal preference really.
Grinder incredibly dusty and messy without adequate dust extraction.
Wet cutter no problem, shouldn't stain, just make sure they've dried out properly before u seal the stone.
Are u using a decoupling membrane? (Ditra/Dural)
You can use an anhydrite specific https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and recommended primer, depending https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ manufacturers recommendation, to stick the decoupler down, then use a regular cement based https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to stick the stone to the decoupler.
But only once the floor has been sanded and laitence removed.
This must be done prior to any work carried out.
And of course only when the new screed is sufficiently dry.

OP
M

Makone

TF
Reaction score
haha yeah great fun for a first time ;) so the membrane is necessary then? because it aint in the price! :oops: I'm going thru a builder who's supplying all the materials so if necessary ill have to pass on the bad news.

F

Flintstone

With limestone that size I assume they are very thick, 20mm +

I would recommend using a grinder to cut them, save you manoeuvring them through the wet cutter. I wouldn't worry about a decoupler. I would make sure you have a suitable trowel tho for large tiles and back butter them all

OP
M

Makone

TF
Reaction score
With limestone that size I assume they are very thick, 20mm +

I would recommend using a grinder to cut them, save you manoeuvring them through the wet cutter. I wouldn't worry about a decoupler. I would make sure you have a suitable trowel tho for large tiles and back butter them all
any particular type of wheel? i only have a continuous rim wheel and I'm thinking a stone as soft as that will clog it right up? largest trowel I've got is a 12mm square notch or a ten mm solid bed i guessing thats not really enough either?

O

Old Mod

Personally, i've got to agree with Julian, in all the years I've been fitting stone I've never fitted it directly to the screed with or without underfloor heating. Whilst this video is a little outdated because of Newer products, it shows why natural stone should not be fixed direct to a substrate, it's just too fragile.

View: https://youtu.be/f6FyWs2WZ1k

This is probably a similar stone.

image.jpeg

J

J Sid

don't what the stone, material or what cost your charging to fix, but uncoupling membrane , https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and fixing would add about, no more than 15% to the over all cost. Call it an insurance policy. :) and be able to sleep at night.

F

Flintstone

Stone that thick isn't any weaker than your average ceramic tile I'm sure. What is going to happen to a solid screed that effects stone more than any other tiles? I think it's pranoia. I can see it with Ufh as there is some expanding and contracting.
I have tiled many natural material floors without heating, and without uncoupling, no problems.

Fitting 70m of uncoupling is a significant amount of money!

O

Old Mod

Stone that thick isn't any weaker than your average ceramic tile I'm sure. What is going to happen to a solid screed that effects stone more than any other tiles? I think it's pranoia. I can see it with Ufh as there is some expanding and contracting.
I have tiled many natural material floors without heating, and without uncoupling, no problems.

Fitting 70m of uncoupling is a significant amount of money!

Well I'm pleased for you, and if it's worked for u that's great.
But we're all entitled to our own opinion, and if they didn't differ, this forum wouldn't exist.
And I'm sorry that my opinion differs to yours, but it is my opinion nonetheless.
As far as considerable cost goes, on a floor that size, in terms of a percentage,
I can't agree!

Nice images, but proof of install isn't proof of longevity.
And I've read no confirmation that this particular material is 20mm+
and if it is, even more reason to protect your investment.
But it's just my opinion.

Reply to First Time Limestone Floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock