Discuss Finishing touches left to do in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DIYmom

Hello to all those in the know.
I'm baffled by what to do and how to do it, or get it done. Your forum has been a great place for me to read what my builders have been doing and why, when I'd ask them directly they'd snarl as if I thought them incompetent when really it was a desire to learn. This has been one of my go to places to understand what's been happening to my home for the past 9 months.
I've joined today as the builders have gone and there's still a mile to go to finish. My cottage has spent all of 2015 being extended and remodelled and is 50% over in time and money (no laughing please) which I've learned is nothing new. In hindsight the job wouldn't have been started as my cash is finished, but the job done is gorgeous.
There's still tiles to be laid, hearth to be built, door furniture to be put on id like to have a sealing contractor seal my work tops and floor/wall joints in kitchen, utility and baths. The plumber hasn't been cooperative and I've no kitchen sink, wc not working and no utility room.
Enough of an intro, I'll be scouring for advice soon. Thanks for having me, stacy

D

DIYmom

Thanks for the welcome.
Anyone know how to get grout out of tumbled limestone surface? BAL wide flexi.
Also need to repair scratches and seal when grout is tidied. Can I go wrong with Lithofin MN Stainstop Plus, it's in the kitchen? Any better for porous stone in wet greasy area of use? Your knowledge and wisdom are greatly appreciated. Stacy

O

Old Mod

The man to speak with is @Lithofin BOB
He's our resident mad scientist, whilst I can help u with some of it, Bob is the man!
When he Nxt logs on he will know to come here because I've tagged him above.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi Stacy.
If you get stuck to a point you need some eyes on the problems, I'm Peterborough based.
Allister

D

DIYmom

Yes, tumbled and unfilled, except now it has some light grouting here and there in the nooks and crannies, about a tablespoon or twos worth. Can I knife it out, scour it or is there a softener I can use? Allister, you're a doll for the offer, your proximity is a blessing. I look forward to hearing what lifothin Bob has to say about sealing these darn rocks. Third day of living back home and my head is swirling with putting priorities in order, most stuff I can try my hand at and will. Off to reassemble my Nabru sleeper sofa now, will need a break and will check in again soon. Thanks for your time. Stacy

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi Stacy, stain stop plus will be perfect for this situation , if you want to enhance the colour with a Matt finish. Have you got any pics of the degree of contamination on the tiles from the grout.we can have a look on here. We can sometimes use a alkaline product to break the polymer down , which can then release, no scratching it out just yet.
Impregnating this will be fine , three rules get it clean,dry and remove the excess of the impregnator ( buff fully dry)
you can call me on the number on the tin on Tuesday if you prefere we can sort the grout as best as possible , get it dry- get it impregnated and sort your maintenance out for long term.

D

DIYmom

image.jpg
image.jpg
Thanks Bob. You're a star. A couple of tiles with some grout in the pits, it's not filled just a thin layer in the character. Also, I chose too light grout, can the color be darkened or just let life darken it?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
This doesn't look to bad, was the stone sealed prior to the grouting applied? And what with,if so.
We may be able to improve with a light wash with a suitable product and a white pad.
The grout should darken slightly with the application of the impregnator(enhancer), this may be enough.
At the moment the grout in the face also looks lighter, but, if you scrape this out , possibly damaging the stone .what will be replaced in these pits? Dirt!!
Life, indeed will darken the joints and also the grout in the surface, in six months living and maintaining this, you may not see a lot of this and will be easier on the eye.

Reply to Finishing touches left to do in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks