Discuss filling hole in concrete floor before tiling and more.... in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Mark Preston

So, two questions in one I guess! Finished a customers cloakroom 2 weeks ago, got called back last Friday as there was an area of grout that was constantly looking wet :( To cut a long story short I've ended up ripping up the new expensive Quartz and Resin sparkly tiles (I nearly cried!) to smash out concrete floor and repair spilt copper pipe!!

So Firstly... I now have an 18 x 3 inch x 3 inch deep chase in floor, obviously I'll denso tape the copper but what can I fill the hole with that will let me re-tile quickly??

Secondly.., why oh why, there was no sign of any leak before tiling, old carpet and underlay was dry as was the screed, just one of those things? or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

W

White Room

Plenty of rapid cements about or use deep fill slc, you may have been unlucky with the pipe, it may have been at the point of leaking just when you were fixing the tiles.

Sods law.

M

Mark Preston

Thanks Whitebeam, I had been thinking rapid cement mix - but how long before its fully cured? How soon can I tile? My understanding is these tiles can bow with to much moisture, so I'm being a little more cautious than usual

W

White Room

Use a piece of decoupling mat over the hole when filled, that'll stop any moisture ingression into the tile.

J

Just Rizzle

tile master 90 leveller will allow u to tile in less than an hour, and do as whitebeam said above quick and easy and on yer way in no time

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
3" deep is gonna need a little more than SLC.
I've had to do this before to bring a floor level. Used rapid setting cement, two layers if, then SLC.

O

Old Mod

Thanks Whitebeam, I had been thinking rapid cement mix - but how long before its fully cured? How soon can I tile? My understanding is these tiles can bow with to much moisture, so I'm being a little more cautious than usual

You could always use Postcrete,
This will set a large post in under 30 mins.
It's very rapid drying and also it's a very fine aggregate!
You probably wouldn't need to worry about SLC to smooth it off.

And if your still worried about moisture, leave it low enough to insert the Ditra as @whitebeam suggested.

O

Old Mod

Not sure what to suggest........but rapid setting products are different to rapid drying products!

It's funny u should say that!
Couple of weeks ago whilst speaking to a technician in one of THE LEADING adhesive companies, I literally had the phrase "ours is the ONLY rapid drying adhesive on the market, the rest are rapid setting!"

O

On one

It's funny u should say that!
Couple of weeks ago whilst speaking to a technician in one of THE LEADING adhesive companies, I literally had the phrase "ours is the ONLY rapid drying adhesive on the market, the rest are rapid setting!"
It would be interesting to know which company it was then........

Reply to filling hole in concrete floor before tiling and more.... in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks