Discuss Electric mat installation in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

1animal1

Problem solved :) I didn't know how fluid the screed would be.

Thanks again chaps for all the advice

Q

Qwerty

Yes it is . But the fact he has taped it in strips it should allow leveling comp to get in .

Spot on! I always leave a big enough gap around it to allow the slc to fully encapsulate it hence it being strips holding it down. Means no air pockets

1animal1

Right, I have the boards down, heating mat down and tested and one layer of Mapei screed...trouble is, the screed only partially covers most of the cables after a few have risen about 2mm above. I know i can use adhesive on the porcelain tiles when laying which will obviously remove the risk of cutting the cables - but i am more worried that the job isn't being done properly - the conductive properties of the screed, depth (which is 5-6mm), the fact that i can't apply adhesive to the floor etc.

Question is, with the total thickness in mind,can i get away with applying adhesive to the tiles - or am i an idiot for not chucking another bag of screed down?

F

Flintstone

If it's just the odd wire poking up a couple mm just tile as normal but be a bit carefully when trowelling around the wires

1animal1

That's what I was hoping you'd say! :) the cold connection is out about 3mm too after reviewing this morning... will this be ok or does it need to be fully encased in the screed

F

Flintstone

As long as it's fully encased in screed or adhesive that's fine. 3mm is quite a bit, be careful and be carefull not to rub coating off the wire when trowelling or bedding a tile down

1animal1

Will do and thanks - I was going to navigate around the wires then back butter the tiles to be safe....

S

SJPurdy

Will do and thanks - I was going to navigate around the wires then back butter the tiles to be safe....
be careful by the wires but make sure they are covered by/encased in adhesive, so don't navigate "navigate away from them to far.
back butter all the tiles to ensure a solid bed.

1animal1

Noted - this is going to more long winded than thought as i've 3 bags of rapid set.... thankfully only 6 600x600 on the floor and 66 600x300 for the walls! reckon i'll get 2 or 3 laid per mix? :D

1animal1

Possible if i wasn't a smart a***, buying some Mapei porcelain and stone split bags from Tradepoint ;) @ £16 for 2 (notice how cool i am not shopping at B&Q :eek: ).

I've also got a bag of Weber from a bathroom fitter mate - but reckon i'll need some more before the jobs done, i'll get some slow setting next time.

Reply to Electric mat installation in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks