Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Dry cutter thread....for use with polished porcelain in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

1animal1

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Morning chaps!

I have been lurking on here for a while now, gathering bits of information and opinion on how best to complete my DIY jobs. I can't thank you chaps enough. My latest has caused me a bit of an issue though which is why I've joined up to ask what you guys think.

I am just in the process of rebuilding our en suite, after which I'll be tile floor to ceiling with 10mm Porcelain, 60x60 on the floor, 60x30's on the walls (same tile). The last job (downstairs toilet) has prompted me to look at other options to my Plasplugs wet saw (don't laugh :) ), which has served me very well over the years. I can't help but think that it's slowing me down massively....

So looking into dry cutters that will cut polished Porcelain I have found that you get what you pay for! and i obviously want as much as possible for the least outlay (surprise :) ). Having looked at models and almost settling on the TS60, I have since read a few more articles on how rubbish these are for porcelain and how i would need a TX minimum for the 60x60 tiles, I'm also concerned that when i get to the ends and try cutting 30-40mm pieces off the 60x60's, i'll be left with a few dead tiles. So this has led me on to the very reasonably priced Sigma 3L3M which I've found for what seems like a bargain £224! sadly it won't do 600mm tiles..... I've read that the 3B4M is a good possibility, but this being a model of the 3B3M, am i best going for the older models?

My question is, would this be a good first tile splitter? Or should i start looking at lesser brands where i may get more for my money considering i won't be using it as a daily... I am looking at buying something half decent as soon I'll have a much larger bathroom and large kitchen to hit and I'm favouring the polished P for the floor in that (despite the ball ache of dewaxing & sealing).

Any help is much appreciated.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
OP

1animal1

Summed up nicely! Cheers :D

So presume Sigma are leagues ahead and I'd be daft looking at lesser products for this type of tile?

Any thoughts on the model to choose?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Definitely a sigma.
And the hold there resale value so when you have finished your project you will have no problem recouping some of your money back should you wish to.

OP

1animal1

Thanks Andy... Any thoughts on model? The 3B4M is coming up favourite for the 600x600 tiles i have, this is likely the biggest tiles i'll touch.

Also I've noticed after further reading, the push and pull options. Max (push) being a tenner more expensive in the main - is this just personal preference or is the MAX worth paying extra for?

OP
O

One Day

As above. Keep it clean and you'll get most of your money back. Plus you'll have used a great tool which makes you happy!

OP
O

Old Mod

Yeah as above, buy one big enough for 600's use it and sell it to me! :D
I'll happily buy it from you when you've done with it.
I need a new 600 cutter.
A push please, klick klock or Max, not fussed.
We're talking within a year yeah? :)

OP

1animal1

3 Years if this builds anything to go by! :eek: I've two bigger jobs ahead of this one so need to weigh up keeping hold of which ever model i get hold of. Cost of renting etc just isn't worth the hassle from what I've seen, it's not like they are £5 a day anymore :(

First dibs are yours once I'm done... :D

PS cheers for chucking another in the mix - Klick Klock? Looks to have a larger breaking strength over the Pull but not the Push @ £234. Push is coming at £239 and pull I have got down to £220. Push is looking most favorable, as have read a lot about it being easier on the wrist! o_O

OP

1animal1

Defo looks the way to go from what I've read - do i need to start fannying about looking at different sized scoring wheels too?! for polished Porc....

Is trade discount much on these? If so it might be worth be bothering a mate who's got a few local trade accounts.

OP

1animal1

Sounds like Marc just got shunted - £200 to you Andy, boxed! (cardboard) o_O

What do these things go for second hand - there are none on ebay at all!

OP

1animal1

I think I've nailed myself down to the '3B4M Max' (push) as any discount on the 3M's are negligible and they are a couple cm shorter (always worth having :eek: ).

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It's so difficult to value a used sigma cutter. As few come up for sale second hand.
That tells a story . If you own one, you don't want to sell it!

If you kept it for 3 years and looked after it, I bet you would sell it for 80% of its purchase cost. Or more!

Reply to Dry cutter thread....for use with polished porcelain in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock