Discuss Drilling Porcelain tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Al Rogers

A friend who's a builder/tiler came into the pub tonight holding his head in hands. The the problem was he'd been trying to cut a 50mm circular hole with a`"diamond core borer" into a 600x300mm, 10mm-thick porcelain tile. The centre of the hole was about 40mm in from both sides of a corner. Water was poured on the cut constantly, he said, but the corner snapped off every time. So far, he reckons, he's gone through about £100 of tiles. The tiles were well supported. Any advice may save him from suicide and could get you a pint.

Al

B

bugs183

If he doesn't want to splash out on a good quality diamond drill bit then he can still cut this hole (He says!). And sometimes this method works better.
Work out where the hole is on the tile and draw the circle on the front face of the tile, use a piece of the pipe to be used to get as accurate as possible.
Remove the guard off your wet saw. Gauge where the centre of the hole is and place the tile on top of the wet saw wheel and cut until the saw blade emerges through the tile. Cut a line inside the markings of the hole. You should now have a rough idea where to place the tile on the wet saw. Now cut a square out of the tile inside the hole, you should see the blade more easily. Cut lines from this square radiating outwards to the hole markings, then use normal Rubi nippers to trim onto the line to create your circle, keep trying against the wall to make sure you are still cutting in the right place.
Once the correct size of hole is cut rub down with a tile file and breath a sigh of relief.

M

Muse2k8

Has he tried drilling slowly on a sand bed to cut out as much vibration as possible? Maybe even slap on a lot of masking tape?

A

Al Rogers

Many thanks, guys. I'll pass on your tips. I suggested doing it by hand, but the cut will be visible and he doesn't think this would give him a good enough finish. A bed of sand sounds interesting.

Cheers

Al

M

Muse2k8

Tell him to get a new core, drill slowly and with next to no pressure. Might take an hour but it saves breaking £100s of tiles for nothing. Hopefully will work.

M

Muse2k8

Maybe try sandwiching it between 2 bits of plasterboard clamped together so the boards act as a shock absorber?

D

Deleted member 1779

Hello Al and welcome to the forum

50mm.jpg

50mm diamond core from 365-drills (PORSADRILL)

[video=youtube;ESr6aQ1O3CQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ESr6aQ1O3CQ[/video]

kit2.jpg

Tell him to treat himself to these. £49.99 for the Bathroom Fitters Kit. £49.49 for the 50mm pack

Use forum code to grab a discount: Code GOLD : Total price £99.48 (Less discount: PRICE FOR BOTH PACKS = £90 quid)

That will sort him out. No need for suicide this year.

Any advice may save him from suicide and could get you a pint.

286_19250082013_617362013_691553_216_n.jpg

I've already had the pint !

195_9498027013_617362013_449884_5_n.jpg

Vicky from 365Drills has just had her pint (THANKS!)

195_9498012013_617362013_449881_8512_n.jpg

Nicky I think has had MORE than one pint (THANKS!)

195_9498287013_617362013_449891_311_n.jpg

AL - I THINK NOW EVERYONE FROM 365-DRILLS HAS HAD A FREE PINT.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
You could try a Bosch Tile Router it runs at 30,000 revs a minute. I have one and it does the job everytime. Ideal for porcelain tile. Checkout Youtube. Hope this helps.

Reply to Drilling Porcelain tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks