Discuss Dot And Dab Wall Tiles In A Shower? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

adrian bond

Hi guys.

I have a couple of showers that need tiling (one a corner unit, the other a walk in affair).
I have previously asked on another thread the best way to waterproof the showers and ensure a trouble free life without leaks; resulting in the use of a brilliant tanking system from mapei (thanks).

However, my dad offered to help with the tiling this weekend as i was away at a wedding. yesterday i returned and he has tiled one wall (it looks great) using the small 100 x 200 7mm thick tiles on my tanked moisture resistant plasterboard, and using Bal grip plus adhesive. However, the tiles have been fixed using the dot and dab method (gaps behind) so at the moment they are very flexible and can be moved side to side when pressed firmly as the grout is yet to be fitted.

No my question is, should i break my dads heart and remove the wall of tiles (its 0.8 x 2.4m), retank and spread the adhesive with a proper spatula and butter the back of each tile....or is the dot and dab method sufficiently stiff once the grout is added?

There looks to be upto 8-10mm of free air behind some tiles between the tile back and the wall where the adhesive isnt present as its on the back of the tile only.

my dilemma is i need it to be as solid and waterproof as possible, but also don't want to slash on my dads hard work!

any advice would be greatly appreciated (tiling not relationship)!

thanks

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Needs to be fixed using a notched trowel spread the wall with the adhesive and fix the tile to achieve a solid bed.
Dot a dab is a definite no no there should be no viods between the tile and the wall.

A

adrian bond

thanks Andy. Any ideas the best way to remove these without destroying the plasterboard and tanking behind the tile? i have a multi- cutter i can use to slice the adhesive away i think!

S

Stef

You shouldn't be using tubbed addy on top of tanking, it's never going to go off as it needs the water in it to disperse somewhere.
Those tiles will come off very easily.
Retile using an appropriate powder addy & a notched trowel..

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
With that adhesive, the tiles should pop off and clean up easilly.

Quite apt that your Adrian bond. Or addy bond !:p

A

adrian bond

Cheers guys!

The Tiles came off easily and have cleaned up nicely. How long would the adhesive take to go off do you think as I have loads left and its bloody expensive! (Plus its easy to apply for the likes of me)!

Cheers

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You need to change it for some cement based adhesive that you mix yourself because your tiling to tanking.

S

Stef

Cheers guys!

The Tiles came off easily and have cleaned up nicely. How long would the adhesive take to go off do you think as I have loads left and its bloody expensive! (Plus its easy to apply for the likes of me)!

Cheers
There's a chance that it will never go off.
You have to use powder addy on top of tanking, no ifs no buts.

A

adrian bond

Buggeration. At least I have found out now before I have tiled the whole place!

Can anyone recommend any brands of adhesive. In the interest of damage limitation....I have a bag of micromax2 grout.....can this still be used?

If it helps the walls have been tanked using the Mapei kit which is brilliant!

Ideally something I can get from screwfix as its on my way home if they sell anything useful! Cheers guys

(Never touching topps with a barge pole again)! Cheers

S

Stef

Buggeration. At least I have found out now before I have tiled the whole place!

Can anyone recommend any brands of adhesive. In the interest of damage limitation....I have a bag of micromax2 grout.....can this still be used?

If it helps the walls have been tanked using the Mapei kit which is brilliant!

Ideally something I can get from screwfix as its on my way home if they sell anything useful! Cheers guys

(Never touching topps with a barge pole again)! Cheers
Take the unopened gear back to Topps & get them to swap it for a BAL spf slow set.
Tell them you told them that the addy had to be compatible with a tanking kit.
You can buy a slow set addy at ScrewFix but I'm not sure which Mapei one they sell.

A

adrian bond

http://www.NoLinksToThis/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit/78484

this is the shower tanking kit ive used (smeared lovingly all over moisture resistant plasterbaord).

Which tile adhesive should i use as there are loads to choose from and im a tad confused. this stuff seems pretty decent.....is it compatible with the tanking kit? http://www.NoLinksToThis/p/mapei-buildfix-flexible-wall-floor-grout-grey-2-5kg/60576

cheers guys. learning all the time!

A

adrian bond

cheeky bump! any help would be appreciated guys as i would like to get some of the adhesive on my way home this eve is possible? any recommendations welcome. The grout will be grey (any recomendations as all i have at the mo is micromax2) and the walls should be as waterproof / resisitant as possible. tiles are about 7mm thick by 200 x 100 so pretty small!

cheers

Reply to Dot And Dab Wall Tiles In A Shower? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks