• Thread starter 1967skyblue
  • Start date
  • Replies 8
  • Views 4K
  • tank

Discuss do you tank on wetboards in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

1967skyblue

hi all, new to this site so please go easy if this sounds double dutch.
i have recently had my whole bathroom stripped back to bare walls and then had it fitted out with wetboards (recommended by plasterer), the guys at tile choice gave me some acrylic bonding & priming liquid to help with the adhesion with the tiles what i would like to know is do i still need to fully tank the whole shower area above the bath or just use the tanking tape to seal the few gaps in the corners before i start to tile or will that be enough ?

1967skyblue

rather than having normal plasterboard i believe these are moisture/water resistant with a blue colouring rather than the grey normal apperance

M

Matt Bott

If you fully tank it will be waterproof which means water will not penetrate it if you don't the moister board can be penetrated but shouldn't break down as it is resistant to damage is my understanding of it @impish can probably clarify that for you

W

WetSaw

rather than having normal plasterboard i believe these are moisture/water resistant with a blue colouring rather than the grey normal apperance

You've answered your own question with that reply. Water resistant isn't waterproof, needs to be tanked.

M

Matt Bott

As it is above a bath I would say it won't be as prone to moister so maybe classi seal type thing might be ok one of the trusted advisors should be along soon that's the best i can do .

O

One Day

As above. I think moisture resistant boards are made with poor site storage conditions in mind. Ie. Stored in damp conditions they won't get ruined quite as easily as standard boards.
Now that's cleared up, to answer your question, they aren't suitable for a wet area. If it's a shower definitely tank it. Around a bath with occasional use I wouldn't bother. Shower over bath? Tank it.
Wet boards isn't a name I've heard before but as usual it is incorrect, misleading and dangerous!

1967skyblue

thank you for all your replies, the shower will be used more than the bath so it looks cheaper in the long run to tank it now for the extra £60/£70 rather than starting over further down the line thanks again

Reply to do you tank on wetboards in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks