Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Diy Tips : What Tools Do I Need To Do My Own Tiling Job in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
So, your thinking about tile your own bathroom, or kitchen splashback, but what tools will you need to get the job done.

Tile Cutters

Tile cutters come in 2 variations, wet and dry.
A dry tile cutter is a manual cutting device that cuts the tile in straight lines using a scoring wheel to weaken the tiles face, then a breaking arm is pressed firmly onto the tile face and splits the tile along the scored line, and requires no water for coolant.

A wet cutter is just that, it uses water as a coolant on the cutting wheel which is power driven by a motor.
The cutting wheel does not exactly cut through the tiles as the wheel has no teeth compared to the like of wood cutters, but instead wears through the tile as you move the tile into the wheels path.
Wet cutters are used for many reasons, mainly for cutting out shapes that could not be done with using a manual dry cutter, like U bends and doglegs etc.
Also some natural stones cannot be cut very well with a manual dry cutter as the breaking arm can end up splitting the tile along the natural grain of the stone tile, instead of the straight line you require.

Trowels\floates

Trowels\floats are used to apply adhesives and grouts to the walls\tile joints.
Trowels come in different notch sizes depending on the depth of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ required to lay the tiles.

Most common size of notched trowels are..

4mm
For the likes of Mosaic tiles "small pieces of tile attached to a net backing", you would generally need a 4mm notched trowel to apply the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to the wall.

6mm
Generally used for a standard sized ceramic wall tile.

10mm
Generally used for standard floor tiles.

There are other notch sized trowels, but in general these 3 are the most common.

A grout float is a lightweight float designed specifically for tile grouting; pure gum rubber face bonded to dense rubber pad, then cemented to aluminum backing with a smooth handle. Edges are beveled and the two front corners rounded for ease of spreading grout evenly over the tile.

Tiles spacers are needed to give uniformed grout lines between your tiles which come in many sizes, most common are between 2mm to 3mm for wall tiles and 3mm to 5mm for floor tiles.

Misc tools

Spirit levels
Stanley knife
Sponges
Sealer gun
Tile nippers
Tape measure
Eye protection
Tile File
Assorted screwdrivers
China pencils\marker pens
Radio "just for penno"

There are many other tools a tiler will end up adding to their list, but for the novice DIY'er, this near enough gives you everything you would need to start your own project.

Happy tile :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Mosaic Mike

Do you know of anyone that manufactures a power nipper? I use hand nipper for cutting inticate shapes out of ceramic tiles, but this has to be done intermittently as the strain on the hand is pretty nasty after spending a day doing this... and something more heavy duty than those available in the US for thin mosaic tiles would be ideal...
Mike:whatchutalkingabout

OP
G

grumpygrouter

Do you know of anyone that manufactures a power nipper? I use hand nipper for cutting inticate shapes out of ceramic tiles, but this has to be done intermittently as the strain on the hand is pretty nasty after spending a day doing this... and something more heavy duty than those available in the US for thin mosaic tiles would be ideal...
Mike:whatchutalkingabout
How about this mike -> Revolution Tile Saw - The Stained Glass Web-Mart - 888-452-7796

OP
M

Mosaic Mike

Look like a lot of fun too! ÂŁ700 sounds like it could pay for itself pretty quick though - especially for mosaic work....

OP
D

DHTiling

Look like a lot of fun too! ÂŁ700 sounds like it could pay for itself pretty quick though - especially for mosaic work....

Your type of work...then yes....great tool........:thumbsup:

they do smaller versions that will be alot cheaper....

[yt]UqrUNOiCTek&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]7MliLgQjFdk&feature=related[/yt]

OP
M

Mosaic Mike

Love the incidental music on the videos! I'm not sure how long the blades would last though the ammount of ceramic cutting we do here. I love the expensive version though! Do you know of any stockists in this country or am I going to have to investigate shipping which I imagine would be really pricey?
Mike

Reply to Diy Tips : What Tools Do I Need To Do My Own Tiling Job in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock