Discuss DIY Floor tiling job in kitchen in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

V

Veitchy

Evening guys recently got my own place, and really want to sort out the kitchen. I thought my best bet is to start with the floor. Currently there is already old basic tiles down which I believe are council from years ago. I have placed a level down and they are pretty much level apart from where the kitchen goes into the bathroom where the row of tiles infront of door begeins to decline into bathroom no majorly but slightly. So to cut a long story short could you please help me with my dilemma and questions firstly

• Should I tile directly on top of tiles or use a self levelling compound?
  • Should I pull up the tiles? some are cracked and can be pulled up by hand?
  • Should I remove appliances and cupboards or baton off areas and just tile around them
Many thanks guys I look forward to hearing from you

Veitchy

Photo 22-12-2016, 18 19 50.jpg Photo 22-12-2016, 18 19 43.jpg Photo 22-12-2016, 18 19 35.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

Question 2 answered question 1!
Check the height of appliances to see if there is enough of a gap to unit tops to tile under them.
Enjoy!

V

Veitchy

Haha sorry John didn't realise but surely if I pull up the cracked one I will have to remove them all right? where as would it be better to just tile straight over them or send level then tile straight on top?

Also there is enough room above the dryer and washing machine to tile underneath them what about kitchen cupboards?

Veitchy~

V

Veitchy

Ok thanks for your speedy replies and help so far guys. I take it only once the tiles are up I will know if I have to self level or not?

Veitchy~

S

Spare Tool

As Andy...they ain't tiles, well not ceramic/porc...rip it all up and see what lurks beneath for a kick off, put money on asphalt!!

V

Veitchy

So if I take up the old vinyl tiles and the asphalt is underneath what could this mean? I could take up half of one a take a picture see what you guys think?

Veitchy~

W

White Room

So if I take up the old vinyl tiles and the asphalt is underneath what could this mean? I could take up half of one a take a picture see what you guys think?

Veitchy~

More like black jack which was a thin glue...

V

Veitchy

So could the adhesive previously used to fix the old tiles present a problem for me?

Veitchy~

F

Flintstone

No you can sort it out with a special primer, get them up and post a photo of what's there

Reply to DIY Floor tiling job in kitchen in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks