Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Diamond Drill QQQQs in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi
I'm looking into purchasing some better diamond drills bits, really would prefer a set for most situations I may come across in bathrooms etc,
I've seen the 365posra tile kit (£50 set) and also the rubi set (£80) which includes most sizes from 15mm up.

Is it better to but individual ones if so what brand or is there better sets out than the ones I've seen.

Thanks
D

I

Ian

As per Dave, I have a range from ATS from 6mm up to 120mm probably 20 different sizes, if you look after them properly they will easily last for half a dozen bathrooms. A basic set of 6 or so sizes will cover most scenarios say, 6,7,18,25,30 and 45mm, they'll only cost a tenner or so for those few and you can add a few sizes more if you need to.

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise.

I think it depends on a few things sometimes it's false economy buying cheap hole cutter. I can't comment on the ATS ones as I have not purchased any from them yet, my choice for the last few years have been the Marcrist ones in link below
Marcrist PG850 Tile and Porcelain Drilling Starter Kit / Set £91.20 in stock - next day UK delivery plus Tile Cutters and Tiling Tools
My 36mm one must have done close to 250 holes and that's a conservative estimate 90% into porcelain and as for the 19mm one I couldn't even guess.
I've tried lots of different ones over the years and don't get me wrong I do use some of the cheaper ones and have 3 or 4 in my kit but they don't last long.
The down side with the Marcrist is the cost the 112mm one I have cost near two hundred quid just glad it was charged to the customer.

W

White Room

I have quite a combination of hole cutters from 365, Ats drill and grinder versions and marcrist..the 365 have done really well as have Ats.

jobdone

TF
Reaction score
Marcrist pg 850 had a set now for a few years all the cutters are still good but the bearings in the arbour have worn. Good piece of kit. Also use the dry bits for putting up fittings

AliGage

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As per Dave, I have a range from ATS from 6mm up to 120mm probably 20 different sizes, if you look after them properly they will easily last for half a dozen bathrooms. A basic set of 6 or so sizes will cover most scenarios say, 6,7,18,25,30 and 45mm, they'll only cost a tenner or so for those few and you can add a few sizes more if you need to.

120mm @Bri Jeez how much did that set you back? I just mark my hole with an off cut of pipe and lay the grinder into it.

OP
Wishiwasatoptiler
Reaction score
So on the main these will cover most situations,
16mm,20mm,25mm,32mm,38mm,45mm,55mm,65mm.
Just a quick one on grinders, is a standard stone cutter blade or one specific to tiles,?
Cheers
D

I

Ian

120mm @Bri Jeez how much did that set you back? I just mark my hole with an off cut of pipe and lay the grinder into it.
I've built it up over a couple of years, some of them don't get used that often as they were bought for specific holes (usually spot lights) and the 120mm one a customer gave to me after I'd used it to cut some fan holes in 3 of his bathrooms, bonus! I still reckon there's not much more that £150's worth, they really are great value from ATS.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Reaction score
@Wishiwasatoptiler 16mm is a toughie. I have one but find myself using 18mm or 20mm instead.
Don't forget copper pipe will expand with hot water running through it. Need to allow a bit more than 1/2mm round the pipe

O

Old Mod

So on the main these will cover most situations,
16mm,20mm,25mm,32mm,38mm,45mm,55mm,65mm.
Just a quick one on grinders, is a standard stone cutter blade or one specific to tiles,?
Cheers
D

U need material specific blades!
If u try using a stone vanity blade to try cut porcelain, not only will the blade tear the porcelain but u'll wreck your blade.
If u try using a segmented blade for cutting a coarse material like sandstone and try using that on marble let's say, well u'll be lucky if there's anything left of the piece of marble after trying to cut it.
But doesn't mean u have to spend a fortune on blades,
good old @ATSDiamondTools comes to the rescue again with very competitive blades.

Reply to Diamond Drill QQQQs in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock