Discuss Depth of adhesive bed (wall tiles) in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post here but already learnt a lot from the forum.

Today was my first attempt at tiling and although I've not laid too many tiles because there was a fair bit of prep and tile cutting to do, it seems to have gone ok (I think!).

Anyway I'm tiling a walk-in shower with 500 x 200 porcelain tiles and I basically wanted to check whether the depth of adhesive bed I've created (4-5mm) is ok or too big? I'm using a 6mm notched trowel and back buttering the tiles before application and when I pulled one off the wall to check for coverage, the coverage is probably around 95%.

Thanks in advance for any replies and I'm sure I'll have a few more questions very soon.

Cheers, Will

F

Flintstone

The trowel sounds too small to me unless perhaps the walls are perfect or your using the notch on the wall and the tile, but If you are getting that kind of coverage then something is working for you

Reaction score
Thanks @Matt Bott - will try to post some pics on the weekend!

Hi @Localtiler - The wall I've started on is a boarded stud wall which luckily I put up carefully myself so it's pretty much spot on. The block wall to its left is as flat as pancake with a feather edge up against it but isn't level with a spirit level held against it (maybe up to 7-8mm out over 2 metres). Should I be attempting to level it out as I go with the tiles? And if so what size trowel would you recommend?

F

Flintstone

The fact that it's not perfectly plum is not really a problem, I wish the walls i tiled weekly were 7 or 8mm out over 2 meters. If it's flat in all directions, that's all you need really, just be weary around windows. Try not to be building out tiles with adhesive

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback yesterday guys.

Just a quick one... When I originally bought all of the kit to tile I was given two lengths of 10mm chrome trim to finish the external edges. I questioned it at the time as the tiles are 9mm thick and I couldn't see how a 1mm bed would be sufficient on these tiles... Given that my adhesive beds are more like 4-5mm (although i might be able to get them down a bit lower on the other two walls), presumably the best shout would be to exchange them for 12/12.5mm trims? Or am a missing something here? Sorry if it sounds dumb but the store assistant seemed adamant that I wouldn't need bigger than 10mm...

O

Old Mod

A fully bedded tile with a 10mm serration will only give a 3mm bed, be sure you are troweling in the same direction creating parallel ribs in the adhesive, and be sure to go the same way on your tile as the substrate, not perpendicular, if you're only flat backing the tile then it's not a problem.
10mm trim for a 9mm tile is exceptionally tight.
Offer a tile up to it, you'll know if it's wrong, go with your instinct.
Ad be sure to leave a grout joint between trim and tile, you may find that allows you to stick with the 9mm which will be more discreet than 12mm.
And if you're putting a cut edge to the trim, rub down the leading edge a little, you'll get a cleaner transition.
Good luck.

Reply to Depth of adhesive bed (wall tiles) in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks