Discuss Deflection issue with No More Ply down in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

Kevbos

Lol contraversial kev

They said they were not going to rip up the original 6mm .ply .I was trying to solve it from there

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Depending how much your floor is bouncing.....and less face it non of us has seen it so can't really give an opinion on that.....however you say you have had a tiler round to have a look . So all I can say is using bal single part fast flex and bal wide joint grout with GT1 add mix would certainly allow for some movement and as your using a porcelain floor tiles and not some cheap bct rubbish then you might get away with it ....just remember to use a solid bed..minimum 10 mm trowel and back skim the tile.......

S

Stef

So I really have three options: 1) The correct way - rip up the NPM which will probably also destroy the floorboards. Fix/strengthen the joists so no deflection and lay 12/18mm ply floor, overboard with NPM or Hardiebacker. Tile. Expensive, disruptive and will make me cry.
2) The risky adhesive option - bearing in mind that the deflection is minimal a very flexible adhesive might resolve the problem. Only time will tell. 2 or 3 tiles would be affected. One commenter suggests he doesn't think i have a deflection problem in such a small room.
3) The raised floor option - Ply or hardiebacker. Adds 2 cm to the height of the floor. Will it definitely stop bounce after all that effort?

I hope the answer comes to me in the morning...night all. Thanks for weighing in.
Do you have a self levelling laser?
If you do then sit it in the middle of the room & mark it on the wall, stand beside it & get someone to mark the wall again & that will show you exactly how much movement you have in your floor.
I think you may be over thinking this floor too much as you always do get slight movement in a floor, it's trying to assess how much movement you do have, it's all well & good us sitting here trying to offer advise but we can't see the floor so it's a bit of a guessing game.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Depending how much your floor is bouncing.....and less face it non of us has seen it so can't really give an opinion on that.....however you say you have had a tiler round to have a look . So all I can say is using bal single part fast flex and bal wide joint grout with GT1 add mix would certainly allow for some movement and as your using a porcelain floor tiles and not some cheap bct rubbish then you might get away with it ....just remember to use a solid bed..minimum 10 mm trowel and back skim the tile.......
You won't need to back skim with fast flex I don't think. Unless things have changed as I think it's one part now isn't it?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You won't need to back skim with fast flex I don't think. Unless things have changed as I think it's one part now isn't it?
It is one part now Dan but as with all porcelain tiles back skim to achieve a strong bond.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh okay. Thought it was squishy enough. Used to need the fast flex trowel with ribs on the end to ensure a flat bed before even sticking to it.

Do you still need that expensive trowel you only used once in a blue moon?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ahh okay. Thought it was squishy enough. Used to need the fast flex trowel with ribs on the end to ensure a flat bed before even sticking to it.

Do you still need that expensive trowel you only used once in a blue moon?
Not really....I use fast flex a lot on wooden substrate. I just use 10mm notch trowel and back skim the tile. as long as you achieve full coverage that's the main issue.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you still tile your curtains with it if you wanted to now it's single part? I used to need to throw away my work trousers every bloody time it went near it let alone used it lol

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Could you still tile your curtains with it if you wanted to now it's single part? I used to need to throw away my work trousers every bloody time it went near it let alone used

Not as bad.....but still gets everwhere and a nightmare to remove....gloves are a must.

Reply to Deflection issue with No More Ply down in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks