Discuss Deflection issue with No More Ply down in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 46792

It will cost 100 pounds to strengthen floor why not just do that

You're probably right, ill sleep on it. I suppose the other concern is then the height increase between floor and hall...but that should be fixable with a decent threshold...

K

Kevbos

Yes as I said it's made to go over timber floors prepared properly .as timber contracts and expands .it helps the flexibility

Edp go buy a nice bit of oak same width as door liner use that to take out height difference

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stef

It's made to go over any substrate that is going to have any lateral movement in it.
I've heard too many people say that Ditra is a saviour to all problems, too many people think it's for bounce in a floor & if people see it being written like this then they will assume it is.

K

Kevbos

Yet I said put another 12mm of ply down preferably 18mm first to strengthen floor .I use ditra.to assure strength sticking to a solid wood floor .

And as your preferred method of fixing problem .yes the adhesive will stick tiles and not come up .but because adhesive so strong tiles will only just eventually crack as they the weakest now

S

Stef

Yet I said put another 12mm of ply down preferably 18mm first to strengthen floor .I use ditra.to assure strength sticking to a solid wood floor .
He's already put down 6mm nmp, if the sub floor was prepped properly then I would have used 6mm Hardie backer & then tiled.
I don't tile to ply & wouldn't fit ply over the top to try & strengthen the floor.
I would rip it out & start again but an elastomeric addy takes up a lot of movement.

K

Kevbos

Some tilers love hardie backer .but as I said if you prep floor properly with right thickness of ply you get no issue

And good luck getting that stuck ply up to start again .we were trying to overcome a problem .by what he said floor needed strengthening .I gave a solution .that does work .

S

Stef

Some tilers love hardie backer .but as I said if you prep floor properly with right thickness of ply you get no issue
15mm ply overlay BS + Ditra.
6mm Hardie glued & screwed or
6mm thermal glued & screwed.
I will use the one that's not going to give me a step into the bathroom.

F

Flintstone

Controversial Kev is your new nick name.

I have over boarded many many bathroom floors with nmp and not had any problems. I would judge deflection with my eyes, if you can see any movement when your walking on it or lightly bouncing on it then it's probably not right, shouldn't see any movement. But if there is some movement it's only gonna be the joists.
Don't bother putting anything over the nmp it's a waste of time.

D

Deleted member 46792

So I really have three options: 1) The correct way - rip up the NPM which will probably also destroy the floorboards. Fix/strengthen the joists so no deflection and lay 12/18mm ply floor, overboard with NPM or Hardiebacker. Tile. Expensive, disruptive and will make me cry.
2) The risky adhesive option - bearing in mind that the deflection is minimal a very flexible adhesive might resolve the problem. Only time will tell. 2 or 3 tiles would be affected. One commenter suggests he doesn't think i have a deflection problem in such a small room.
3) The raised floor option - Ply or hardiebacker. Adds 2 cm to the height of the floor. Will it definitely stop bounce after all that effort?

I hope the answer comes to me in the morning...night all. Thanks for weighing in.

D

Deleted member 46792

Controversial Kev is your new nick name.

I have over boarded many many bathroom floors with nmp and not had any problems. I would judge deflection with my eyes, if you can see any movement when your walking on it or lightly bouncing on it then it's probably not right, shouldn't see any movement. But if there is some movement it's only gonna be the joists.
Don't bother putting anything over the nmp it's a waste of time.

Cheers for your reply...what do you suggest?

Reply to Deflection issue with No More Ply down in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks