Discuss Decoupling required on a Gyvlon screed? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
We had a big job fail after being specced by the addy manufacturer. They made a couple of site visits while the place was being built and produced a comprehensive spec sheet which was followed to the letter, what size spacer, exact location of movement joints etc. Flatly refused to admit their products had failed. The job was obviously put right at great expense to my brother in law who I was subbing for. The addy manufacturer also lost their supply contract with him £££££s but didn't seem to care less.

D

Dumbo

Have you had a few failures then?
Not really . Had a problem with grout colour that was wrong but they said it was with tolerance of colour variation. But know of tilers who have had problems with adhesive . He other no help. And you hear all sorts of things over the years non of which I can remember. I will always listen to manufacturers . But if I'm not happy I will let somebody else do it. Don't get me wrong I like a challenge but it has to last and not fail . I will give one for instance ufh manufacturers were recommending installing tiles directly on heat mats we are tiler I know questioned warmup over this at a trade show telling them it was crap they agreed and said they only said that to get diy market . But that doesn't help you at customers house .

D

Dumbo

We had a big job fail after being specced by the addy manufacturer. They made a couple of site visits while the place was being built and produced a comprehensive spec sheet which was followed to the letter, what size spacer, exact location of movement joints etc. Flatly refused to admit their products had failed. The job was obviously put right at great expense to my brother in law who I was subbing for. The addy manufacturer also lost their supply contract with him £££££s but didn't seem to care less.
They don't seem to care . I wanted help with this dodgy grout . Next customer who I visited who was going to get tiles from retailer who didn't help me. I said have you looked at this other Tile shop . They went there bought Tiles that was 1700 quid first retailer lost and they lost more since. Don't forget if you by products from retailer your contract is with them not the manufacturer.

D

Dumbo

Also should of seen the look on the tech reps face when he wanted to take grout bag away for testing and I told him he couldn't have the whole bag as I didn't trust his company so I needed to keep some for myself

U

Uheat - Neil

Just looking for some clarification.

I have a 28 sq metre screed slab, Gyvlon Thermio liquid screed, with wet UFH. The laitance has been taken off and it's fully dried. There are no cracks.

After its been primed with APD, will BAL rapid set flexible fibre be ok without a decoupling mat?

The BAL docs say 'may' be used. They appear to only say that the mat is mandatory on wooden substrates.

If a mat is requied, how much adhesive should go under it and on top? 6mm notch trowel above and below mat?

Tiles will be travertine.

Using the mat adds another £500 of materials...ish... 2 layers of adhesive and the mat...

Cheers!
Hi Richard
If you are at the quote stage for the project,we can offer great prices to forum members..
a combination 3 electric mats totalling 25 sqm , would give you a coverage of 89%
Regards Neil --uheat.co.uk

Reply to Decoupling required on a Gyvlon screed? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks