Discuss Decoupling or not..... in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

inspiredandy

Evening all.
I am in negotiation with a client over a tiling job. 33sqm tumbled marble over two substrates on a kitchen floor. One side floor boards one side concrete, I have priced to over board timber and pour levelling compound on the concrete to make the levels up. I have also priced to install decoupling membrane over the whole floor but wonder if its a bit over kill. My price is about xxxx (no prices in the open forum) a drift but client wants me to carry out the install. Thoughts appreciated...

Last edited by a moderator:
P

p4ulo

Make sure you put a movement strip between the two different floors too, and deffo decoupling for absolute piece of mind, espec with natural stone.

O

On one

and mine.......but then the client will say they dont want an expansion strip in the middle of there tumbled marble floor!
But then custom made colour coordinating expansion joints are available to mitigate this problem. Available at short notice and to match any coloured grout you care to mention.
Not ideal.....but the other option is going back in a number of months to replace a hairline crack right across the floor

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Why would you need a decoupler ?
Is there ufh ?
Id put a movement joint in, work from where the 2 meet, and silicone instead of grout

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just the fact it's tumbled marble I think mate. Which is quite weak.

Personally I'd trust the adhesive and not bother.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Would think it would be overkill , as long as the floor (timber) is solid it will be fine without.
IMO ;)

O

Old Mod

Would think it would be overkill , as long as the floor (timber) is solid it will be fine without.
IMO ;)

See now I'd go the other way Craig!
I'd stick Ditra to the ply with AF200 rather than over board, as long as the sub floor is solid.
If it isn't then I'd overboard as well.
Couldn't imagine putting down such a delicate material without Ditra.
And obviously putting expansion in Ditra too!

Reply to Decoupling or not..... in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks