Discuss Cutting tiles with out using a wet cutter in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

gary b

hi guys
I've always used a wet cutter to cut my tiles where ever my dry rail cutter can't do. I've always done that as that is how I got shown. My question is is that the norm. Do you guys use wet cutters or do you use angle grinders ?? Which is really what my question is about. I've never used angle grinders but the more tillers I speak to, the more seem to use. I'm only asking is because work is a bit slow at the moment, so looking at site work to bring some money in, but the thought of lumping my wet cutter around isn't appealing, also it's not 110v, so I would have to probably get a new one.
Many thanks any advice is really appreciated

G

gary b

Okay thank you.
What do I actually need then to cut the tiles. I'm guessing you would need a black and decker work mate to cut the tiles or something like that to hold the tile when you cut it. Also would a cordless angle grinder be okay as I've got cordless drills where I can use the battery's on other tools.

Thanks again i no it's sounds simple and all that but I never got taught how to use a angle grinder

L

LM

You'll need a very good blade for a cordless grinder, one that cuts with great ease as the draw on the battery is huge and a better blade has less draw.
Marcrist CK850 AkkuMAX 115mm x 22.2 Diamond Blade Flanged 1853.0115.22 | Buy Marcrist AkkuMAX Diamond Blades (NEW PRODUCT) Online from Pro Tiler Tools - http://www.*******************/marcrist-akkumax-diamond-blades-new-product/46739/marcrist-ck850-akkumax-115mm-x-222-diamond-blade-flanged-1853011522
One like this would be a great option.

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Used wet saw for years , but since discovering ATS blades , always use 4 inch grinder , marble and small wall tiles only exception

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
I only used to use a wet cutter when I did my private work. However on switching to site work a couple of years ago I now only use a cordless grinder. I have a dewalt grinder and drill with a 5AH battery for each . That pretty much does me for 2 days for most stuff on walls , if its floors I'd charge each day. What you have to remember is most of the stuff ur gonna cut with the grinder isn't going to be on show for the most part , no skirtings etc.
For angle cuts on wall tiles I scribe both lines , grind diagonally to the corner then snap out both sections , nice clean cuts for around windows.
As for soils on floors I now carve out shape with the grinder to create a 2/3mm groove , few lines in , snap out. Takes a couple of goes to get used to but still gets good site finish , need to roll your wrist as you go round the shape.
The only time I now break out the genny and sms 202 is for HA kitchens , bumpy whites are just better suited to it being so thin.
Diggy

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Just to add to your other Q.
Get a Keter bench , Ive never looked back since buying one , saves my old body from bending down. As regards using it for cutting , place tile on the bench with bit to be cut hanging over edge , then place a bucket of water/adhesive/tools on it to hold it down if doing a circular cut out. For small angles its possible to just hold it after a bit of practice , not exactly H&S but hey ho. :0)

Oh and I use an Erbaur turbo blade , £7.99 from screwfix , cos I'm a tight wad :0)
Works fine for me though .
Diggy

Last edited:
G

gary b

Thank you guys, some great tips and advice there.
It doesn't faze me trying new things, but I always want to do it right with no short cuts, no matter what it is.
Many thanks again for the links and info , I'll be getting a grinder Monday and start practicing asap.

Reply to Cutting tiles with out using a wet cutter in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks