Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Cutting tiles to direct water properly on former in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

K

Kristian

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi. I've an Impey former 1700 x 750. The drain is midway along the 1700 length but offset along the 750 breadth about 1/3 of the way. I'm looking for tile advice before I buy tiles please.

1. I've tested the tray is working by pouring water over it and the water does make it's way to the drain so currently it's fine. What cutting guides would I make on the tray to correctly guide the water to the drain? Just four lines, one from each corner to the centre of the drain? Or 8 lines?

2. At the edge of the tray, do I cut the tiles where the tray meets the chipboard?

3. Also, what is the best way to cut the floor tiles - hand cutter or machine? Is a cheap machine ok or will it just make a mess of the tile edges?

4. What gap should be used on floor tiles of a wetroom?

5. What size of tile should be used on the wetroom floor? Does it matter? The ones I'm looking at are Wickes 615 x 308

any help on these would be ace, thanks.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

This is a difficult situation - wet rooms are not DIY jobs and yet you ask DIY questions.
You have to tank the whole room, chipboard is not a tileable substrate, the trays have built in falls... it goes on!
There is advice and there is advice / good luck!

OP
K

Kristian

This is a difficult situation - wet rooms are not DIY jobs and yet you ask DIY questions.
You have to tank the whole room, chipboard is not a tileable substrate, the trays have built in falls... it goes on!
There is advice and there is advice / good luck!

Thanks, I know I have to tank the room, sorry I should have mentioned.

OP
F

Flintstone

What is on the walls? What tanking are you planning on? What are you putting on the floor before tile ?

OP
K

Kristian

What is on the walls? What tanking are you planning on? What are you putting on the floor before tile ?

The room will be completely stripped to the bone. P5 particle board on floor. Impey tray. Impey membrane tanking everywhere (i've got the kit). Tile on the membrane right? The tiles are 19kg per m2

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Cutting tiles to direct water properly on former in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock