Discuss Cutting sqaure 'holes' in porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

White Room

I take it you mean a wet cut to the corners, no I have'nt but will give a try next time:thumbsup:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
I can see the benefit, time, extending blade life, lining up the cut, in my view might be the hardest part, will deffo try it though :thumbsup:

Reaction score
should have said mark from corner to corner on the front of the tile and plunge cut. so move up down or left or right to line the cut up:thumbsup:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
I understood, it's just as and when I plunge cut ( prefer angle grinder ) I can line up on the cutter along the lines of the tile, going at an angle seems strange, but i will try it :thumbsup:

N

nudge

on most jobs i set up an old bucket and fill it with water for weight,then i use this for setting tiles on for grinding,works a treat and it doesn't matter if you cut into it,its plastic.

why wouldn't you just turn the empty bucket upside down :thumbsup:
it'll keep Mr shocko away from the water :yikes:

cheers

H

heavytrevy

I used to do this ,but all the ups and downs makes me tired and back sore.
So i brought 2 of these foldable workbenches Foldable Metal Work Bench | Overstock.com 1 for my grinding and the other for me cutter.

Highley recomend these, dosent matter if I cut into the tops either , they are easy to replace with offcuts lying around the worksite.

Trev

on most jobs i set up an old bucket and fill it with water for weight,then i use this for setting tiles on for grinding,works a treat and it doesn't matter if you cut into it,its plastic.

T

tfs

If you are doing several plunge cuts in tiles you can make a simple adjustable jig made from mdf and use an angle grinder to cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

stevee

i cut the face with 4" grinder on a workmate,i dont enjoy bending over either ,paid a handsome£5.70 for a cracking blade from machinemart

J

Jelthetiler

Blimey, some of you take risks using those small grinders.

Anyway, i have a bench wet saw that i use for virtually every precise cut. For sockets, i pencil the tile out first and cut the amount that my blade will allow along said drawn lines. My blase will just about go through the back of a 10mm tile before 'overcutting. After i have 'cut' my square (which is too small to fall out of the tile on it's own), i then wet cut across 45 degrees to the points of the square. By this time 6 cuts should have been done. You will then be able to tap the tile through the middle of the square, then tidy up inner edges manually.

I might sound a bit of a knob here, but i find that most precision cuts should always be done with water. Much kinder to the tile!

D

DHTiling

Blimey, some of you take risks using those small grinders.

Anyway, i have a bench wet saw that i use for virtually every precise cut. For sockets, i pencil the tile out first and cut the amount that my blade will allow along said drawn lines. My blase will just about go through the back of a 10mm tile before 'overcutting. After i have 'cut' my square (which is too small to fall out of the tile on it's own), i then wet cut across 45 degrees to the points of the square. By this time 6 cuts should have been done. You will then be able to tap the tile through the middle of the square, then tidy up inner edges manually.

I might sound a bit of a knob here, but i find that most precision cuts should always be done with water. Much kinder to the tile!

So would you mess about setting your saw up for 1 plunge cut..?

J

Jelthetiler

So would you mess about setting your saw up for 1 plunge cut..?

Most certainly mate.

I can cheat a little when it comes to filling the machine up though. I always keep a couple of bricks in the van, jack the back of the machine up so i only have to put half a bucket of water in!
Takes about a minute to set everything up, maybe 10 minutes to cut the tile.

Reply to Cutting sqaure 'holes' in porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks