Discuss Cutting porcelain tiles question in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

what

I'm considering using porcelain tiles for my bathroom renovation. I have tried a sample tile on my wet cutter and found it chips the glaze slightly.
Is there a technique to avoid this?
Do I need a professional tile cutter?
Should I use a manual cutter instead?
I have cut slate and ceramic tiles without any problem in the past.

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
Porcelain is very tough. If you go a lot slower with the tile you may find it doesn't chip. But you may want a better blade or perhaps buy a good manual tile cutter.

G

GoneGuy

I would invest in a better blade, but if your only doing straight cuts why not buy a decent dry cutter?

N

NZ_Tiler

A nice new blade may fix the problem.

You could try running your current blade through a cement block a couple of times. This can improve the blade sometimes.

R

Rob Collins

A thin blade 1.2mm wide with an enhanced centre for rigidity would be the best bet to prevent chipping

O

One Day

The most important factor in clean cuts is an accurate saw spindle.
Cheap saws tend to wobble.
Sigma 10m9 or Raimondi GS86 (I won't include Rubi anymore!) are precision set for zero wobble.

So in my experience you can put a great blade on a cheap saw and it will only cut faster, not really any cleaner.

Saw > Blade > Tile quality - in that order.

Profix

TF
Reaction score
I'm considering using porcelain tiles for my bathroom renovation. I have tried a sample tile on my wet cutter and found it chips the glaze slightly.
Is there a technique to avoid this?
Do I need a professional tile cutter?
Should I use a manual cutter instead?
I have cut slate and ceramic tiles without any problem in the past.

Get a porcelain specific blade for a wet machine and you should notice a big difference

Reply to Cutting porcelain tiles question in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks