Discuss Cutting Large Format Tiles for Wetroom in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

Werz

Hi
Can anyone please give me some advice on the best method/tile cutter to use when tiling an embedded shower tray (1500x800mm) with s/s centre drain. The tiles I want to use are 750x750mm porcelain. I realise using this method will create many large diagonal cuts to the drain from the outer edges of the tray. I would like to get the grout lines accurate and therefore a good quality tile cutter will be required. I have read that the Dewalt D2400 tile cutter is a good tile saw but this won't be large enough to do some of the cuts.

Would you professionals use a manual cutter for this type of job or is there a decent quality bridge saw I could hire/buy?

Cheers
Werz

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum Werz.

Difficult to use a mechanical cutter for this as it doesn't actually remove any material from the tile. You need to do this in order to create a groutable joint. U can open the joints up, effectively making the tile 5mm bigger on each axis, but only if it doesn't effect surrounding tiles. (Joints will miss)
To use a wet machine, you have two options, something with a 1200 bed or a table top, with the table top you have to push your cut in a straight line over a small bed, can be tricky with large pieces.
Or use an angle grinder with a decent blade and cut freehand, which is the way I do it.
Takes practice tho.
One last option is to make a detailed and accurate template of your tiles and take them to be water jet cut.

W

Werz

Thanks - I don't think I can do this freehand - can you recommend a decent wet bridge tile saw - the ruby one has had a lot of flack on some reviews. Not sure if it's warranted or not.

O

Old Mod

If this is a one off, mark all your cuts and hire for a day if you can. Anything you can find with a 1200 bed should cope with straight forward cuts.
Just take your time and don't force your piece through. Let blade do work.

T

Tilerdurden

Overhead wet cutters are the best tool for the job imo. Cutting centre of marked line will give you a 2mm grout spacing and keep it all uniform.

Reply to Cutting Large Format Tiles for Wetroom in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks