Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Customer Vs Trade Dispute - Natural Stone Tiles in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,

I understand that BS5385 suggests:

Variation across Joints:
±1mm for joints less than 6mm wide
±2mm for joint 6mm or more wide

However, what are the guidelines for natural stone tiles, i.e. travertine limestone which are 610mm long, 406mm wide and 12mm thick, with a joint of 2mm between tiles?

I would have though the guidelines would be different since natural stone is not even in depth across the whole tile.

I have a customer who found the BS5385 spec on google and is now trying to use it as an excuse for not paying. In fact he is threatening to take me to court for the costs of rectifying the job.

I tiled the gentlemen’s conservatory floor with this natural stone, 20 square foot worth and only one or two of the tiles have a variation of about 2 mm.’s

thanks

OP
S

Scott

I think you got some good advice above, good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

By the way what area are you in?

OP
P

paul flight

you must put this in writing to him . dont call it sanding as well . you are polishing the floor down ok!!! do this asap.... good luck:thumbsup:

OP
T

templar018080

hey Scottley I live in the south, poole. Some great advice from everyone thank you.

It's crazy people think they can sue for just about anything these days, and guess it can be daunting for people who aren't use to dealing with small claims threats etc. but I feel a lot more confident with this advice!

OP
T

templar018080

:oops:ah yes, honing it down, will look good in my response...

I'll let everyone know how it goes, so others may hopefully benefit if they come accross these new breed of cow boy customers!

DJS

TF
Reaction score
Interesting read for a new starter like myself.

I agree the customers request does sound unreasonable, if there are only 2 tiles affected. They should allow you the opportunity to fix it in how you see fit.

If they demand the 2 tiles are re-laid - I would recommend honing as an initial course of action as it would be the least disruptive option. If they are not happy with results, then you could still offer to relay the 2 tiles.

Good luck with your reply and hope you end up with a satisfied customer. You do hear the odd story about people who just wanna argue to try and haggle the price down. Really hope you haven't got one of those!!

OP
C

cja

Having just been through the courts from the opposite side of the process, i'd agree the customer is being unreasonable. He should give you chance to rectify - where rectification means that you have the chance to go back and 'make it good' - this is assuming that a 'reasonable' tradesperson would agree with the customer that the lip isn't acceptable. If, after you attempting to resolve then they are still not happy, then again it comes down to what is reasonable - if the only way ultimately is to remove the floor and re-do it, then that would be the course of action, but only if sanding didn't give the finish..

With something subjective like this, then reasonable is the key..

OP
T

templar018080

Hi all, here’s an update on the dilemma:

I wrote several letters offering a honing solution applied to the 2 or 3 travertine tiles to reduce the slight lippage, that I could get a third party to carry out at no extra charge, if he contributed towards my material costs incurred thus far (£75).

I gave a deadline for the gentleman to reply by and pointed out that if he didn't respond in 14 days then it would be taken that he is now satisfied with the works.

Anyway he did respond, be it very short compared to my correspondence, and this was it:

Ref Conservatory flooring

We write to advise you that we do not accept your solution of the honing of the number of tiles which have degrees of lippage which gives an uneven floor surface.

We do not accept the deadine which you have given us and will not in future accept deadlines. We have taken legal advice on the matter and are awaiting survey reports and as soon as these are available we will put the matter into the Small Claims Court as we have been advised to do. We are out of the country for 12 days and will deal with situation on our return.

OP
M

mikethetile

I dont understand why you asked him for a further £75

if he refused to give you a date that you can return and rectify the works he has shot himself in the foot

it doesnt matter whay he says or does now you stick to your guns

OP
M

mikethetile

im sorry templar

ive just reread your original post and realised you havent been paid

waste no more time arguing with him and pm Dan for the details of a firm he knows who will help you get your money

OP
H

hillhead

We don't need these type of crap customers,stick to the advice as above and get your money through the court!
They are just being impossible and the court will see this,keep good records of all and good luck.

Reply to Customer Vs Trade Dispute - Natural Stone Tiles in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock