Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Contractor Paying My Tax? in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

M

Martino

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi I'm not sure which forum to put this question in but...I've got a few months work through a friend who knows a contractor at a modular site.....all I do is tell the guy my UTR number and he sorts out my tax and n.i..... Question is....how can I be sure he actually pays it? Also what do I declare on a tax return with regards to this?...I have always paid my own tax...any help would be much appreciated

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The money paid by the contractor to HMRC will be lodged against your UTR so at the end of the year when your tax bill is worked out it will be minus what is already on account (In laymans terms)

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
BUT be careful, make sure that it is paid to your UTR. I had an instance where the showroom I was contracting to was deducting the 20% of my labour charge and pocketing it. When my accountant sorted my tax out there was no money on account and I had to prove that the invoice I sent was different to the amount actually received, which was easy, so HMRC then go after the contractor rather than me. Bit of hassle but if you have a paper trail then it should be no problem if it happens to you.

OP
M

Martino

Cheers for the advice pal its only for a month or so. So like you say worst case I will easily be able to show that my Invoice is different to what I received...I am currently not CIS registered.......is this a must?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I don't subcontract but I understand you should be CIS registered, I'm sure one of the other guys will confirm either way

OP
D

dave l and l

invoice him and a get a receipt from him saying how much job was and how much tax was paid in under your u t r number
than at end of year give it to your accountant and they will minus it of the tax owed,
i do it for a couple of shops / showrooms i do work for

OP
S

Spare Tool

The contractor should issue you with a payment certificate showing deductions after each payment or at least at the end of the month, and if they don't offer one ask for it..

OP
D

Dean Robertson

If you're not CIS then the contractor takes 30% tax. If CIS it's 20%. The difference will be repaid to you at end of financial year.
I think some contractors may request that you be CIS so worth sorting it out.

Reply to Contractor Paying My Tax? in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock