Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Confused in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

O

Onecut

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi
First of all my bathroom that I am
going to tile is a garage converted solid concrete floor
Ok I bought a tanking kit and made a 4 inch plinth with marine ply as I need a fall for the water the kit came with waterproof Sealand etc
I was looking at tiles at band q but noticed every tile wether ceramic or porcelain each said not suitable for wet room is this because they just cover themselves

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Go an actual tile shop. Perhaps find tiles with matching mosaics for the actual shower area. More grip when wet. Most tiles are slippy when wet though. So check with the shop assistant, of an actual tile shop though so they know what they're talking about.

OP
O

Onecut

Go an actual tile shop. Perhaps find tiles with matching mosaics for the actual shower area. More grip when wet. Most tiles are slippy when wet though. So check with the shop assistant, of an actual tile shop though so they know what they're talking about.
Hi dan
Wow that was a quick reply
Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly
It's not the tiles but they said no to every single tile they had in the store I have found really good tiles which are a bit rough to touch which would be ideal but it was the way b and q stated that no tiles are suitable for a wet room
Whilst I am here what tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grouting would you recommend
Thanks once again

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What are you tile to then? Plastered walls and you currently have ply? You could do with over boarding that ply with a waterproof tile backer board. I'll leave that to the pro's I'd even ask them if I was doing mine. Wasn't as technical even a decade ago.

Are the tiles you've gone for ceramic or porcelain?

OP
O

Onecut

What are you tile to then? Plastered walls and you currently have ply? You could do with over boarding that ply with a waterproof tile backer board. I'll leave that to the pro's I'd even ask them if I was doing mine. Wasn't as technical even a decade ago.

Are the tiles you've gone for ceramic or porcelain?
Not sure yet which tiles
I have used aqua pannel cement boarding on all walls so i have done this properly
But it's the tiles on the tanking that i am concerned with

OP
S

Spud

Perhaps it is because of the slip resistance of the surface rather than the type of material it is why they are saying they are not suitable

OP
O

Onecut

Not sure yet which tiles
I have used aqua pannel cement boarding on all walls so i have done this properly
But it's the tiles on the tanking that i am concerned with
Perhaps it is because of the slip resistance of the surface rather than the type of material it is why they are saying they are not suitable
Yes maybe
Anyway what cement and grout is recommended

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Use a powdered https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, one you mix yourself...something like weber set plus same for the grout.....one you mix yourself....Tilemaster grout 3000 or something similar.

OP
S

Spud

How are you constructing the platform ? Tanking over plywood isn't ideal you may be better off getting a preformed shower former which has the falls already in it ,with out knowing the full spec if what you intend doing it's hard to give good advice ,

OP
O

Onecut

How are you constructing the platform ? Tanking over plywood isn't ideal you may be better off getting a preformed shower former which has the falls already in it ,with out knowing the full spec if what you intend doing it's hard to give good advice ,
P

OP
O

Onecut

It's on marine ply the tanking has a preformed on the moulding to give the fall it comes with a outlet etc

OP
O

Onecut

Yes I have one

Reply to Confused in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock