Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Cleaning/sealing Un-glazed Porcelain in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys

I am after a bit of advice. I have spent some time reading through posts but it all gets quite confusing for a newbie. There seems like lots of different products so would love to get peoples opinions if possible.

My bathroom was tiled about 3-4 years ago as a wet room with these on the floor and the non-Discface ones on the walls.

Johnson Tiles — Intro Collection — Kerastar

This might have been a bad choice of tiles and I don’t think they were installed and grouted very well but the lack of care and maintenance on my behalf has not worked out too well.

We live in London and the water is very hard, so lime scale deposits and build up is bad. I am going to install a water softener to try to help with this a bit.

The grout on the floor is starting to break away and the tiler left the spacers in so it is all a mess. I am now getting the floor re-grouted by another tiler.

This was what it was/is like.

Tile 4.jpg

Tile 2.jpg

I have managed to get rid of the lime scale so the tiler can re-grout – this took patio cleaner, VERY stiff brushes, a grout saw and a lot of time.

After the tiler has re-grouted I want to try and clean these tiles and protect.

1. Even though the tiles have been cleaned, some have a milky finish and stains on them (like this before I did the big clean up). If you wipe the tile with a damp towel, then finish is nice and dark, with a slight shine and the stains are gone. But as this dries it goes back to how it was. I have researched on this forum and there are many different products. I am just a bit confused as to what I could use for this type of staining? Maybe I need Deterdek?

2. After these are cleaned and the re-grout has been done, should I be sealing these tiles? With what? Would this give the appearence like after wiping with a damp towel?

3. Should I be sealing the grout? (After the re-grout) If so, again with what?

4. The grout on the walls is still in place fine but I don’t think this was mixed very well when done so there are lots of milky sections and the colour varies everywhere. I would like to sort this too. Are grout pens a waste of time? If I do use a grout pen or similar, should I be sealing this afterwards?
  5. Should I also seal the wall tiles?
    Tile 3.jpg
  6. Last question... I promise. Should the previous tiler grouted the join between the walls and floor? The guys who is about to redo this has suggested not grounting this and sealing with silicon or similar instead as the grout might crack again due to the movement between the two?

Thanks for any advice guys.... it is appreciated.

T

Attachments

• Tile 1.jpg
    Tile 1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 5

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I think you might have more problems than just cleaning and re-grouting , grout should not be crumbling and coming out like that.

I'm very surprised a tiler has said he'll just grout that.

I'd be investigating why the grouts coming loose and rectifying this first.

What are those tiles laid onto ?

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I presume the real grout colour is black or charcoal or ebony?

The staining looks like efflorescence to me. Look on this site for the meaning of the word and what can be done to rectify it.

Some of the grout does not look deep enough to me (judging by the pictures).

In my opinion (again, only judging by your pics)……….some worse areas will need to be cleaned up more with acids.

Then all the grout should be cleaned with acids and washed down with plenty of water to neutralise the harmful effects of acid.

Some areas will need to be regrouted.

A grout colorant in your original colour (black charcoal or ebony) should then be applied to the clean/dry grout. Grout colorant will make uniform all the grout in your shower, it will also seal the grout so it should not discolour in the future.

I personally use Aquamix pre grout cleaner and Aquamix grout colorant.

However, if there are areas of cracked grout then you will need to investigate first why this is happening.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
As above think you may need some deeper investigation, your patio cleaner is probably Hydrochloric acid based, if you are working this for long periods of time you will not need a tiler to remove the grout as it will soften and fall out itself ,this can also migrate to the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ below and start on that. Also possible damage to some porcelains. Watch the vapour from this product to- if hydro based its vapour can also be corrosive to- to you and surrounding metals.

Use a tile specific grout remover- phosphoric based cleaner, this will be slightly slower but with the same result- as Sean suggests you still have remaining salt deposits.

If a re grout does happen, you could use a porcelain impregnator to go on the grout and also the tile if any porosity has opened to the tile.This will give you a water and oil reppelance .

Once the shower is back in service , the water softener may help a little ,but throw an old towel on these tiles after use and mop up excess water, it will save you a lot of heavy scrubbing with acidics to remove the re forming salts and also save your new grout which will be attacked by such products.

OP
T

Tee

Hi Guys
Thanks for the replys.

David - The tiles are laid on to a plywood foor with one of those formed wet deck panels. This is then lined/tanked
To be fair the grout has only broken around the edges (and at the drain). To me, although no expect in the area, it looks like it has been grouted really badly and there are voids under the grout. This with the movement between the floor and walls has cause the issue.

Sean - The grout is charcoal. I will do some digging on efflorescence, thanks. I agree, in places I do not think the grout is deep enough. Also because the tiler left the spacers in, it meant some areas had under 1mm on top of the spacers. The new tiler is going to go right down and get all the spacers out.
Most the grout is coming out so I am hoping the grout will not need cleaning if that makes sense. Maybe a tiny bit on the walls will be needed. Any recommendations on acid?
I will also look into Aquamix - Thanks.

Bob - the patio cleaner I used was very week. I dont think it contained Hydrochloric acid. It contains Alcohols, C6-12, ethoxylated? It was only left on for 10 mins and washed off with lots of water. Thanks for the tips.

So from this is it recommend that no sealer is needed after the work is carried out?

Thanks again, Tristan

OP
T

Tee

I presume the real grout colour is black or charcoal or ebony?

The staining looks like efflorescence to me. Look on this site for the meaning of the word and what can be done to rectify it.

Some of the grout does not look deep enough to me (judging by the pictures).

In my opinion (again, only judging by your pics)……….some worse areas will need to be cleaned up more with acids.

Then all the grout should be cleaned with acids and washed down with plenty of water to neutralise the harmful effects of acid.

Some areas will need to be regrouted.

A grout colorant in your original colour (black charcoal or ebony) should then be applied to the clean/dry grout. Grout colorant will make uniform all the grout in your shower, it will also seal the grout so it should not discolour in the future.

I personally use Aquamix pre grout cleaner and Aquamix grout colorant.

However, if there are areas of cracked grout then you will need to investigate first why this is happening.
Hi Sean

Can you tell me where to get Aquamix Grout Colorant in the UK? Ive searched but places seems to be scarce and out of stock.

Thanks, Tristan

OP
T

Tee

I think it's hard get hold of now!

@tilinglogistics Kev Martin is the UK guy for it these days.

Can try ring them (Google tile logistics)
Cheers Dan. Will give them a call tomorrow. Any ideas why its so hard to get? I notice the AquaMix website has gone. Maybe the company have folded?

Reply to Cleaning/sealing Un-glazed Porcelain in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock