Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Cleaning old grout off reclaimed quarry tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

I

Ian C

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello,

Long story short however I'm looking to replace the original entrance floor in my house that previous owners have wreaked.

I've found locally a supply of quarry tiles which match the existing. The top surfaces are clean however the edges have the remains of old grout on them. I obviously need to clean this off so was wondering whats peoples recommendations?

Regarding re-bedding them i was going to use a bed of semi dry sand cement with the tiles tight upto each other in a brick bond pattern as existing, is this ok or would people suggest a 1-2mm grout gap and if so what grout to use?

thanks in advance

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Light residues can be cleaned with a diluted specific acid based product and a stiff brush, if there is a full grout joint stuck to the edge , I put mine on a bench and ran a grinder up the edge and then finished off with a chemical clean.
Rinse fully and test your acidic cleaner on one tile and let dry first , to see effect.

OP
I

Ian C

Thanks Lithofin BOB

Yes tile edges were completely grouted up so as suggested angle grinder run across them. Worked a treat.

Reply to Cleaning old grout off reclaimed quarry tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock