Discuss cleaning gunk out of thin core cutters in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

Ian

It is a good idea but, can it do anything that a good old fashioned Allen key can't? Not trying to pee on your fire, just looking at it from a business point of view.

D

Deleted member 1779

Nope the good old Allen Key remains the king of the core ejection

pop5.jpg

For those who have access to Allen keys then they are just as good. And to be honest most fixtures come with spare allen keys as standard.
I wanted to add this as an optional extra for people. Its like the sponge. Most people have access to a sponge.
But if you offer a dedicated solution then buyers do appreciate it.

So to be clear there is no significant benefit in this solution to using an Allen key. Its just that we offer a solution.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
He's on the ball our Richard is. And as always it's the simple solutions that work, and convenience is king in this scenario.

I love thinking the forum was involved in inventing something so we're not allowing any more negative suggestions about it on the forum!

(Messing again, only messing!)

M

Muse2k8

To be fair I love your drill bits so I'll be likely getting this :) and another sponge will be useful!

A

Alan M

i like the idea of having a dedicated tool, youl always have it as its good for nothing else (you could use your allen keys for something else and not bring them. ) . and an extra spong would be handy.
when i get a set of these drills i know il get this aswell.

how about a small storage bog for them,. something along the lines of a festool mini systainer

D

Deleted member 1779

Yes good comments. We did look in the past at the idea of storage something like this:

424300_10150481297272014_617362013_8529872_1977375627_n.jpg

But it adds about a minimum of £5 to the cost of the product. Plus an extra £1.50 to the postage and packing costs due to extra weight.
Might not sound much but if (for example) we were to build say the Bathroom Fitters Kit [Currently £49.99] in this format then it would have to be
a price rise to minimum £59.99 for the kit.

OK so I agree it might be (might be) that we would still sell as many units - maybe even more! but I think its adding extra cost to the customer.
And our original aim five years ago was to be as low value as possible. - Please note that does not mean CHEAP !! (Cheap = Bad Quality).

I think what we tried to do in the begining was to strip down cost to the bone for ourselves and then pass on to the customer.

Incidently we did do an excercise like it for Corgi plumbing a year ago and once they factored in their own profit you can forget £49.99 and even £59.99
The kit came out at a whopping retail of £99.99 when they reflected back their expected profit margins. Thats double what the BFKMX is costing now!

It just seemed to much money for the set. So I shyed away from presenting the PORSADRILL range in ABS plastic presentation.

Oh final note. The ABS plastic cases DO work if there is significant VOLUME. Let me give you an example.... Topps Tiles have 320 branches and so if you can imagine each branch would sell 3 units per week. Then the weekly demand would be for 1000 units. Woooo so then all of a sudden you are shifting 50,000 cases per year and that brings down the price by a massive chunk. You have economy of scale. But reality check here is that we could never get anywhere near Topps so the days of supplying that sort of volume is pipe dream land for us. Hey but maybe we can dream!

Final word: Maybe we will offer an ABS case solution. But because we are very low volume expect the item to be loaded with drills and goodies which far exceed the Bathroom Fitters Kit. But the price will likely be £139 for the goodies. Probably 4x6mm 4x8mm 1x16mm 1x18mm 1x25mm 1x30mm 1x40mm 1x45mm. Selection of guide plates for all the sizes. A core ejector. A sponge. Its just a theoretical product.

Hope that makes sense but I am telling the story from a manufacturers point of view so I am baised as to how many units we could actually shift to get a return on our set up costs.

A

Alan M

when you break it down its not really viable.
also 'low value' is a bad thing, value is based on personal experience of the product compare to the price. you mean low cost product. anyway im being picky.
thanks for taking my idea on board .

il put mine in a box of some kind as im anal about having tools protected and all together.

I

Ian

Yes good comments. We did look in the past at the idea of storage something like this:

424300_10150481297272014_617362013_8529872_1977375627_n.jpg

But it adds about a minimum of £5 to the cost of the product. Plus an extra £1.50 to the postage and packing costs due to extra weight.
Might not sound much but if (for example) we were to build say the Bathroom Fitters Kit [Currently £49.99] in this format then it would have to be
a price rise to minimum £59.99 for the kit.

OK so I agree it might be (might be) that we would still sell as many units - maybe even more! but I think its adding extra cost to the customer.
And our original aim five years ago was to be as low value as possible. - Please note that does not mean CHEAP !! (Cheap = Bad Quality).

I think what we tried to do in the begining was to strip down cost to the bone for ourselves and then pass on to the customer.

Incidently we did do an excercise like it for Corgi plumbing a year ago and once they factored in their own profit you can forget £49.99 and even £59.99
The kit came out at a whopping retail of £99.99 when they reflected back their expected profit margins. Thats double what the BFKMX is costing now!

It just seemed to much money for the set. So I shyed away from presenting the PORSADRILL range in ABS plastic presentation.

Oh final note. The ABS plastic cases DO work if there is significant VOLUME. Let me give you an example.... Topps Tiles have 320 branches and so if you can imagine each branch would sell 3 units per week. Then the weekly demand would be for 1000 units. Woooo so then all of a sudden you are shifting 50,000 cases per year and that brings down the price by a massive chunk. You have economy of scale. But reality check here is that we could never get anywhere near Topps so the days of supplying that sort of volume is pipe dream land for us. Hey but maybe we can dream!

Final word: Maybe we will offer an ABS case solution. But because we are very low volume expect the item to be loaded with drills and goodies which far exceed the Bathroom Fitters Kit. But the price will likely be £139 for the goodies. Probably 4x6mm 4x8mm 1x16mm 1x18mm 1x25mm 1x30mm 1x40mm 1x45mm. Selection of guide plates for all the sizes. A core ejector. A sponge. Its just a theoretical product.

Hope that makes sense but I am telling the story from a manufacturers point of view so I am baised as to how many units we could actually shift to get a return on our set up costs.

Why won't Topps let you in Richard?

D

Deleted member 1779

We have been trying them for years! Recently wrote to their MD Michael Jack but each year its the usual No !
They never give any great reason. I know Andy from Cornertape managed to get in but I think its a bit of a holy grail.
We continue to try.....

M

Muse2k8

We should have a campaign where all our members write to Topps demanding they stock your drills.

D

Deleted member 1779

Now that would be useful !!

Mind you... I did that once for PTS (Plumb Trade Supplies) And wrote to all 300 branch managers of that plumbers merchants to say that we existed.

And the buyer went absolutly MENTAL. He said we had gone the wrong way to get his attention.... :lol:

Apparently he was inundated with calls and emails from local branch managers telling him it looked like a good idea and would be a useful tool box essential for their customers.

He rang me and was livid... Opppsss

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1779

Its a shame there is nobody on here called Michael Jack who runs 320 branches of a tile retailer... Would make life easy!

Oh thats right.... Life is not meant to be easy!

Ahh well at least I have my non refundable holiday cruise booked and paid for on the Costa Concordia for June 2012.

Reply to cleaning gunk out of thin core cutters in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks