Discuss Cleaning dried Bal grout off of Topps Stratum Anthracite tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

tired

I Have a problem I hope you will be able to help me with!

I have tiled my new walk-in shower walls with Topps Stratum Tiles in a dark slate grey colour, but some one helped with the grouting
and didn't clean it off before it set. I have since bought topps extra strength grout cleaner but although it is helping a little it is still
not off and all the tiles have a white coating of powder over them........................help what do you suggest???

Tired:yikes:

D

DHTiling

Lithofin cement away . But test first for results.

Cover anything up that can get damaged.

Dilute first and increase in strength till it works.

Wear appropriate ppe.

T

Time's Ran Out

Welcome to Tilers Forum.
Although I cannot advise you to do this and every care should be taken to follow the instructions on the container, I would consider the brick cleaner from BQ or similar! It's contains up to 15% acid and so the 'warning' calls should be heeded. Well ventilate the room as fumes can taint chrome, use plenty of water to wash off and DO A TEST AREA FIRST OUT OF SIGHT. Please take care but it does work for missed built up areas of grout.

D

DHTiling

I was gunna suggest brick acid TJ.. but thought i better not as some mightbe shocked... but yes it is the cheapest residue remove about but IMO for pro use..

S

Spud

those tiles are a nightmare I am using them on a new build job at the moment we had a similar problem we used brick acid and a scrubbing brush and it got into the crevices of the tile really well , it took 2 attempts to get them perfect but they will come clean

T

Time's Ran Out

You are right Dave - I was hesitant to suggest the brick cleaner in open forum and although I've used it for years, it can have its problems. Many years ago we had to replace the chrome coated plastic shower attachments that were etched by the acid!
Not really for the DIY but it works with care!

Reaction score
Advise re these tiles on Topps Website

Expert Tiling Tips from Toby

"These tiles are designed to be butted up together for minimal grout lines - apply grout with the finger to fill the odd spaces which may naturally occur. If you’re using in a wet area, we recommend waterproof matting before the product is affixed."

Yep......you read it......to coin a Richard Littlejohn phrase........you couldnt make it up

S

Spud

here they are anthracite and white , definitely need acid cleaning even when fingering the grout in ,they are a nightmare

Attachments

• 20130514_111044 (960x1280).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 20130514_111036 (960x1280).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 20130514_111030 (1280x960).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 20130514_111309 (960x1280).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 20130514_111245 (960x1280).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 112
S

Stef

These are some of the worst tiles I have fixed,
Grouting is a total nightmare,
I am now 4 days behind schedule on this job.
Does anyone know of a colour enhancer that will work on these tiles??
The tiles are so nicer when wetted!!

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
So what is the question here ? Have you got dried grout a haze or just looking for a sealer with a sheen finish?

S

Stef

Looking for a colour enhancer..
All grout has been painstakingly removed
Topps tried 2 enhancers & tile giant tried 1 but they didn't have any effect on the look of the tile..

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
If the grout is cleaned off and you've tried various enhancers it must just be the texture of the tile, did the customer pick these? Never fixed them so can't really say much more, are they on a bathroom wall?

S

Stef

Alan I will put up pics when I finish this week,
The customer picked them, they are the worst tiles I have fixed.
36m2 light grey & anthracite.
They are lovely on but what a pain..

Reply to Cleaning dried Bal grout off of Topps Stratum Anthracite tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks