Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Cleaning a Travertine Floor in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I hope someone can help. I have a 25sqm Travertine Floor and was quoted lots of money to get this floor professionally cleaned. Thus, I was hoping to have a go myself. The person that quoted me said he would polish the floor so it will be waterproof, and will not need doing again for 6 years. I wish I could afford him but unfortunatly I cannot afford £1k for this at the moment.

I was going to try myself.

Anyone have any advice on how I can clean plus seal the floor quickly?

I have looked at HSS and there are a number of floor scrubbers, can anyone reccommend the best way forward?
HSS Hire - Floor Scrubbers Tool Hire and Equipment Rental

OP
G

Gazzer

Using any tool in an incorrect manner can cause damage.
Cleaners and sealers need to be used the same way, the dwell times of cleaners is most important as is the rinsing process. You will need a stripper, cleaner and sealer. A cleaning machine and a wet/dry vacuum IMO and then it will be a hit and miss process if you are not trained.

There is nothing worse than a stone floor covered in scratches caused by machinery in the wrong hands.
I am not saying it cant be done but be very careful as any damage created will cost even moore to correct.

OP
C

C&S

I may be too late in replying to this thread as I am new here. Very good advice there from SirRammic. I think £1000 to polish 25sqm is a little OTT, I have just polished one slightly larger at around ***** for £***

I would also add, that, polishing a floor would not neccesarilly render a floor waterPROOF, but, polishing does tend to close up the stone to a degree, so I would advise water RESISTANT rather than waterPROOF.

Cleaners come in all sorts of guises and some acid based cleaners will EAT you travertine.
What are you trying to clean off the tiles?
If it is general dirt, try a High Alkaline Cleaner, but, like sirramic said, LET IT DWELL.

I often re-cut the surface with diamonds and build up through the different grades to give a New Look to the floor, I am not a fan of throwing a lot of chemicals all over the place.

Hope this helps, like I have said, I am new on here and I am simply having a look at what as taken place in the past and "joining in"

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just bumping some threads related to cleaning travertine. Not all threads will be current discussion but if you would like to reply with some information, go ahead, it may be valuable to somebody in the future. Tile Cleaning and Tile Restoration Forum

Reply to Cleaning a Travertine Floor in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock