Discuss Chips on porcelain Tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

Walshy

I'm having a problem with some porcelain tiles that I just cant seem to get the cuts right without some chipping.
Ive tried wet cuts/ dry cuts. Ive changed cutting disc to a Beava premium diamond on recomendation and while that is definatley better than what I had, unfortunatley there are still some small chips (ive ran the disc through some breeze block a few times to break it in).
I'm taking my time with the cuts, letting the disc do the work etc but still not getting the desired result.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? or even at this stage some ideas to hide the chips, although obviously not ideal I'm starting to think I may not have too many other options as some of the cuts are in very prominant positions.

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

U

Unused Account 1

You always get some chipping its the nature of it ,especially making it thinner on the surface

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with some porcelain tiles that I just cant seem to get the cuts right without some chipping.
Ive tried wet cuts/ dry cuts. Ive changed cutting disc to a Beava premium diamond on recomendation and while that is definatley better than what I had, unfortunatley there are still some small chips (ive ran the disc through some breeze block a few times to break it in).
I'm taking my time with the cuts, letting the disc do the work etc but still not getting the desired result.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? or even at this stage some ideas to hide the chips, although obviously not ideal I'm starting to think I may not have too many other options as some of the cuts are in very prominant positions.

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Was it Joe at STS who recommended the Beava ? I've never used their blades, I use the Montolit DNA and blades from ATS Diamond Tools.

Try scoring them with the manual cutter first

O

One Day

Any photos?
When I face a delicate porcelain I will try and dry cut using a Sigma cutter.
I always find I get the cleanest cut that way.

If it's more than one cut, then I'll score with the wheel anyway and then carefully use my grinder (with Marcrist ck850 accumax blade) about 0.5mm from the score line. That normally will result in a chip-free cut which if needed, I'll smooth up with a silicone-carbide disc on my grinder afterwards.

W

Walshy

Thanks for the really prompt replies its helped me as I'm sat here pondering what I'll do in the morning and Ill take the advice on board.
Sorry I dont have any pictures and no wasnt Joe at STS Got it from Andrews in Leeds.
Incase I still cant get the desired cut anyone got any old trade tricks to disguise or hide chips???

O

Old Mod

Any photos?

If it's more than one cut, then I'll score with the wheel anyway and then carefully use my grinder (with Marcrist ck850 accumax blade) about 0.5mm from the score line. That normally will result in a chip-free cut which if needed, I'll smooth up with a silicone-carbide disc on my grinder afterwards.

Got to agree with imp tho walshy, if you need to have your cuts completely chip free, then repolishing the cut edge is the way to go.

Won't mention the avatar imp! ;)
Except, I knew you were familiar! :)

O

Old Mod

Have you tried taping the cut line?
Sponge with a grinder will reduce chipping also.

W

Walshy

Cheers 3-Fall, yes have tried taping the cut line. How do you mean sponge with a grinder?

O

Old Mod

Hold a wet spong on the back of the blade as you cut.
It's messy, but reduces chipping.
It keeps the blade much cooler.

F

Flintstone

Any photos?

What silicone carbide disk?

Reply to Chips on porcelain Tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks