Discuss Capping an external wall How to grout (overhang) in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

chossy

Hey folks new to DIY and this forum. Could you guys give me some advice or tips on how to place tiles on the top of a wall to finish it off... I was going to use mortar to fix the tiles to the wall. Also the tiles have a 2cm overhang on each side of the wall and I wondered how I might grout the spaces which are in the over hang? put masking tape around the edge to hold the grout in place while it dries?

thanks for any tips
cheers.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hey folks new to DIY and this forum. Could you guys give me some advice or tips on how to place tiles on the top of a wall to finish it off... I was going to use mortar to fix the tiles to the wall. Also the tiles have a 2cm overhang on each side of the wall and I wondered how I might grout the spaces which are in the over hang? put masking tape around the edge to hold the grout in place while it dries?

thanks for any tips
cheers.
What type of tiles are you using?

C

chossy

Hi cheers for having a look, they are slate natural things, the reason I wanted to use mortar was because the wall has a finishing strip on for the render, the inside side is going to meet a lawn, so I figured if I used mortar I could level that lower side up easily. I have attached a couple photos, hopefully you can see whats up from them...

thanks again,

DSC_0032.JPG DSC_0033.JPG

T

Tommythetiler80

It all depends on how thick your bed of mortar will be for the slate but if you have a steady hand and your confident with using a silicone gun, why not get some appropriate silicone that withstands all types of weather and use that to seal around between the wall and slate. I'm saying that because it looks like you have a lovely clean rendered wall and applying grout could and might run down that clean render when you try to clean it and smooth it .

T

Tommythetiler80

Having said that if your bedding the Slate in mortar when you tap it down to ensure full coverage you'll be able to point to edges with the mortar that will squeeze out.

C

chossy

Hey thanks for the idea of silicone... I hadn't considered that, I am pretty good with silicone... I am very comfortable with mortar.

cheers, for the help.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Aye, l think mortar would be okay in this situation, as it looks like you will need a fairly heavy bed. As for the pointing, if using mortar it will crack through time. To make the mortar more flexiable and bond better add SBR , about 1ltr to a 25kg bag mix should do.

is it a natural slate , you are using? Are you intending to slope the copings to the inside?

C

chossy

No the slope is there because the guys who rendered the wall used a wee edging strip to give a nice finished edge... that's why I was thinking of mortar as the bed so it could build up the inside quite easily. Or I could just whack on another edging strip on the inside edge. I'd still probably go for mortar as I'm happy working with mortar... It may be a good idea to slope away from outside edge... maybe reduce the amount of cruddy water dripping down nice white wall....

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
No the slope is there because the guys who rendered the wall used a wee edging strip to give a nice finished edge... that's why I was thinking of mortar as the bed so it could build up the inside quite easily. Or I could just whack on another edging strip on the inside edge. I'd still probably go for mortar as I'm happy working with mortar... It may be a good idea to slope away from outside edge... maybe reduce the amount of cruddy water dripping down nice white wall....

Aye that's what l was thinking.

Reply to Capping an external wall How to grout (overhang) in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks