Discuss Builders at it again! in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
5 years in to this bathroom and I don't for 1 minute believe it wasn't leaking from day 1.

Stud wall was rotten from floor to 3 ft high
Shower wall was 12mm ply
Tiles in niches fixed directly onto studwork
Tiles dot n dabbed directly onto chipboard floor
Porcelain tiles 60x30 fixed on all walls with tubbed addy

Not sure how it didn't collapse

I removed the stud wall (gloves and mask used) and flooring where rotten
Removed tiles on long shower wall to shoulder height
Built new stud wall and created new niche
Tanked all wet area
Tiled walls and grouted
Fixed Sandimat (1mm decoupling mat) had to use that so floor tiles would not be lipped
Grouted floor and siliconed

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg

Last edited:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It was actually a pleasure to do (almost)

From a distance it didn't look too bad (3 miles in thick fog) but on closer inspection you could see where they had failed, in every department

The customer is away on holiday, I finished it today and they come back tomorrow so they haven't seen the mess when it all came apart, hence all the photos

PS the first pic is how it looked prior to removal haha

O

Old Mod

Haha it's ok John I could tell! Haha

Even showed the wife the end result, and I don't do that often as I'm sure u know why! haha but I can get away with the odd few!

It does look Kool, lovely and crisp!
Sort of stuff I love!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Dunno Ali, maybe they thought they'd used waterproof grout ;)

O

On one

It was actually a pleasure to do (almost)

From a distance it didn't look too bad (3 miles in thick fog) but on closer inspection you could see where they had failed, in every department

The customer is away on holiday, I finished it today and they come back tomorrow so they haven't seen the mess when it all came apart, hence all the photos

PS the first pic is how it looked prior to removal haha
Absolutely hate doing jobs when the customer goes away on holiday,don't like one bit.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
And whats wrong with grout ??? Id of cut the old grout out, sprayed some expanding foam in, let it set (thats the secret) then just grouted it back up,been fine for ages :kissingheart::kissing:

Reply to Builders at it again! in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks