Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Black polished tile looks dull/light/scuffed in places in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, hope someone can help :)

We have put down romsey black polished porcelain tiles (500x500) from b&q in our kitchen/dining room. They look great, but noticing some tiles look dull at parts, the way I'd describe it is it looks scuffed, but nothing has scuffed it. It looks light/dull/scuffed. Is there anything we can do rather than change the tiles, we've already changed 2 tiles and then it's happened again.

The tiles didn't have wax on them nor did try need sealed just the cut edges needed sealed. That was box instructions.

I'm really regretting these tiles as I'm thinking are they all gonna start going like this, although they are lovely!

Is there anything we can use to bring the shine back or to stop it happening again? Love my new kitchen etc feel so disheartened about my tiles x

Thanks x

OP
T

Topshop

The tiles didn't have wax on them nor did try need sealed just the cut edges needed sealed.

I'm confused - did you seal or not seal? Did you seal the grout?

OP
D

DHTiling

You only seal the surface.. not edges on polished porcs..

But i have to say that a lot of B&Q porcs have a transit wax on them, and not the first time they have when they have said the have not..

Can you post some pics please.?

OP
H

Happymumandwife

Hi,

No we haven't sealed them or the edges. And no haven't sealed grout, do we have to? I'm wondering is their wax on them as every wee mark shows up on them like a scratch. But we are being very careful with them. Our fridge is on wheels and when we wheeled it in its left the marks "/
How would we know if there's wax?

I'll try & post a pic not sure how to "/

Thanks

OP
H

Happymumandwife

Hi, we used unibond grey grout, (not the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout one) But this shading dullness happened on a tile before it was grouted and we changed it, now it's happening more. How would we know if there is wax on them? Thanks

OP
D

Daz

Are you noticing the "dull" tiles where there is a downlighter shining on to them? If you drag your finger across the "dull" tiles does the surface finish change? Do the tiles feel greasy or smeary?

If you can answer yes to any of the above, then I would be confident in suggesting that there is a transit wax on the tile surface.

Daz

OP
H

Happymumandwife

Hi Daz, yes they feel slightly rough at the dull part, not very rough but not as smooth as the rest of the tiles. you know like if you have a smooth bit of wood and someone sands a wee bit the texture would change ( sorry trying to explain it best I can lol) so if there is wax how do we get it off and what do we use? We're in Northern Ireland and don't have a lot of tile shops that mainland would. Also can you explain what we do to remove and after we've removed the wax. Thanks so much for your reply. :)

OP
D

Daz

They will be easily cleaned, but I will hold fire with product recommendations until some of our NI tilers have seen this thread, so that they can steer you to "local" suppliers.

Good luck,

Daz

OP
H

Happymumandwife

Thanks so much. Was ready for getting the whole floor lifted! Thanks again. :)

OP
H

Happymumandwife

Just an update, been on to b&q and they have said tiles may need resealed. So to clean them all & to reseal them. They say it may be just that the seal wasn't great on them and has worn off! "/

OP
H

Happymumandwife

Hi, just an update -

called b&q today and spoke to a manager. Told him about the problem we are having as the tiles seem to have more and more marks on them. He sent a fella (very helpful fella) out tonight to look at them & straight away the fella said it looks like they're not sealed properly. He then asked which https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ & grout we'd used and we let him see it. He noticed the grout didn't say for porcelain on it! Now this is the grout that the tile fella (very helpful) in b&q advised us to buy after I'd shown him which tiles we'd got, the reason I asked him was more for the colour, but he did advise us to buy the one we did. They can check cameras and they will see him lifting the bag & trying to work out if that would do the amount we needed.

Obviously they are gonna try & blame it on the grout!

BUT... We did explain to te fella that came out and also I did tell manager yesterday (before we'd realised about grout) that this happened before it was grouted, as out tiler had laid the tiles then came back the next day to do the cuts and we noticed then some needed changed, so he removed them and put fresh ones in, and so glad we still had the tiles that were first laid, without being grouted! So we showed the fella this tile & he could clearly see it hadn't been grouted as edges were clear but he could see it had been on floor (https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ still on back) and that it was marked, so this proves that the problem was happening even before grouting. So glad we kept that tile & it was just by chance it was there!

Waiting to hear what's gonna happen tomorrow, I explained to the fella that came out, I don't want a refund or for the floor lifted & relaid, I just want them
cleaned and resealed if that's what they require. I just want the floor fixed I love the floor, just not the marks on tiles. I'm not doing this to gain anything, & if they offered me a new floor or to have it cleaned, I'd rather it cleaned if that would solve it, the thought of having the floor lifted and redone fills me with dread as we have done so much work in the kitchen/dining room already, don't think I could face anymore!

We have cream natural
stone tiles throughout our livingroom & hall & (touch wood) have never had a problem with them, in saying that they did cost over 5 times what these ones did!

I just hope this gets resolved quick as its stressing me out so much :-(

Here's hoping tomorrow brings good news...

X

OP
D

DHTiling

B&Q have not got a clue, who ever they sent out wasn't qualified to advise IMO.

It is the the tile and deffo not the grout lol.

Pop to a CTD store and get some Abra clean by lithofin and clean a spare tile with it and then report back here.

OP
H

Happymumandwife

Hi, thanks - where will we get what you mention? We are in Northern Ireland so don't have alot of store you have in mainland. I called B&Q this afternoon but 'tile/floor' manager isn't in today - so he will call tomorrow.

Reply to Black polished tile looks dull/light/scuffed in places in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock