Discuss Best way to apply adhesive , floor job in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Brody29

I have a 5x5 metre floor to tile with 60x20 porcelain tiles, I am using the levelling type spacers with the wedges for the first time. Is the best way to apply the adhesive with a 10 mm trowel onto floor and also back butter the tiles with same trowel?
Thanks for any advice

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes ......but use the flat of the trowel to back butter the tile you just need a skimmed of adhesive on it.

L

LM

So I've been doing it wrong!
To allow the air to escape therefore allowing the notches to compress for a more solid bed. Swirled like spreading patterns cause the air to be trapped and the compression resistance won't allow the tile to fully colapse the notch and in turn prevents a true solid bed.

B

Brody29

Thanks for the responses chaps, so the General consensus is, spread the floor with 10mm notched trowel, then also back butter tile with notched side also, and make sure notches of floor and back of tile run in the same direction to allow air to escape for maximum compression?

W

White Room

When you've bedded the tile onto the wet adhesive move it back and forth 90 degrees to the notches to allow a good bed of adhesive...

T

Time's Ran Out

Explain where we are all going wrong then John.

Never said you were - just asked why because others might not know!
Me I do it up, down, sideways , swirls, flat backed, ribbed and a bit extra in the corners when required. As long as it's solid bed there should be no air pockets and I wouldn't make the adhesive stiff enough for the ribs not to collapse.

W

White Room

Never said you were - just asked why because others might not know!
Me I do it up, down, sideways , swirls, flat backed, ribbed and a bit extra in the corners when required. As long as it's solid bed there should be no air pockets and I wouldn't make the adhesive stiff enough for the ribs not to collapse.

That's a fair comment John, it's making sure the addy isn't mixed to thick where it allow very little movement and bedding.

I

Italy

I disagree, it depends, the thickness of the tile. If porcelain is thin, agree with lee and whitebeam . otherwise agree with john.
for a 60x20. I would not do me much trouble. otherwise I go, do pharmacist.
I lay, like andy allen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Best way to apply adhesive , floor job in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks