Discuss Best Tile Adhesive 2010 - Popular Tile Adhesive Companies In The Uk in the Tile Retail | Wholesale | Import / Export Tile area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bootsmckiber

Same as always,Mapei,never had a problem with it and its readily available,the technical support line is second to none.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
:lol:

I think Colin from Creative Marketing (BAL's external marketing guys) think we're doing something dodgy with the poll: Are BAL Losing Market Share? | Tile News

Interesting comments from him.

Can't be more transparent than we have been for the last 5 years though and BAL seemed to love it when they came out top. He seems to suggest TW actually does get used too which we all know isn't the case.

Last edited:
D

DHTiling

Oooo Sour grapes.. For all Bal readers who think it is fixed.. all names of voters are logged to prevent marketing or employees from voting from any adhesives companies etc.

This poll has ran for a few years now and this is the first year Bal are not top.. read back through this thread and take in what your users have to say Bal.. only you can do anything about it.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I think BAL have a cloudy view on what's going on in the real world. : Are BAL Losing Market Share? | Tile News

They seem to think the poll doesn't reflect market share, and called us and / or the poll a "beauty contest" even though in 2007 they boasted their success in the poll they won.

So do they like the poll or not? :lol:

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Righteo.

I've closed the Poll now (although you can still respond to the thread) and the results are as follows:-

240 Tilers voted on any of the 20 options, 19 adhesive brands and one option to vote 'other'.

The Top 5
Mapei - 27.92% up from 22.08% in 2009
BAL - 18.33% down from 28.57%
Weber - 12.5% up from 5.84%
Ardex - 6.25% up from 2.6
Granfix - 5.83% slightly down from 5.84%

T

The D

it is funny that when you talk to any of the BAL lads they all say they have not lost any customers but we all know that is not the case.
in CTD last year some of the lads (me included) was asking if they would get some Mapei adhesives and grouts in so they did and it started flying out they had adhesive slc grout and silicone and had almost as much shelf space as BAL but one day i walked in and it was all back to BAL when i asked why i was told that BAL give a million pounds rebate and where insisting that Mapei be taken of the shelves we still get Mapei from CTD but we have to ask for it. it is a bit sad that BAL have to purchase there shelf space.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Naughty.... but not all CTD's are doing it or mine wasn't a few weeks back but they might have been bought as well by now..:lol:..

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
A blog regarding the poll can be found here with some interesting facts in it: Tilers Choose Other Brands Instead of BAL | Tile News

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
it is funny that when you talk to any of the BAL lads they all say they have not lost any customers but we all know that is not the case.
in CTD last year some of the lads (me included) was asking if they would get some Mapei adhesives and grouts in so they did and it started flying out they had adhesive slc grout and silicone and had almost as much shelf space as BAL but one day i walked in and it was all back to BAL when i asked why i was told that BAL give a million pounds rebate and where insisting that Mapei be taken of the shelves we still get Mapei from CTD but we have to ask for it. it is a bit sad that BAL have to purchase there shelf space.

Well that's bloody interesting to read. I know when I worked for Topps that BAL used to (probably still do) give them rebates when it comes to year end or something like that.

D

DHTiling

Bal have always given CTD a rebate but does this justify having high prices to be able to give this rebate, why not just have sensible prices to start with..??

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Would make sense. I think if part of the deal is to take other brands off the shelves then they'd need to give a rebate for that to be able to have some terms in the first place to stick such a request in.

A bit dog eat dog but it's the end user that suffers with the higher prices.

It's proven really that if BAL reduced their prices they could mop up but they see themselves as the best adhesive and apparently "you pay for what you get" say their sales reps when asked. :lol: Quality ins't just price IMO. BAL must have one of the largest marketing budgets known to man. The training centres, the recent re-branding (bigging up their UK brand, when actually they didn't respond to Joe Simpsons request for comments regarding UK brands in the mag a couple of months back which could suggest their materials are perhaps sourced overseas - sort of ruins the british bulldog logo a bit), the sales reps, their new website etc etc etc.

T

The D

this was all put to them at the speed tiler thing by 18 different tilers from all over the country all saying we like BAL but we do not use it much as it is to expensive but all they could say was yes but we are BAL. but they do have super cover flex on offer at CTD and if i take a second mortgage i can afford 1 bag :lol:

D

DHTiling

this was all put to them at the speed tiler thing by 18 different tilers from all over the country all saying we like BAL but we do not use it much as it is to expensive but all they could say was yes but we are BAL. but they do have super cover flex on offer at CTD and if i take a second mortgage i can afford 1 bag :lol:

So you are saying that it was put face to face with them about their pricing etc..? and no joy..?

Reply to Best Tile Adhesive 2010 - Popular Tile Adhesive Companies In The Uk in the Tile Retail | Wholesale | Import / Export Tile area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks