Discuss Beginner's tips/errors and how to fix them... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

KateJ

I thought this was clever - something a bit like this for boxing. I also like the idea of a slope so water drains off it (until someone steps on it)!!!!

W

WetSaw

I assume you're having a shower cubicle? You don't need to worry about the pipe boxing being waterproof, it's only aesthetic.

K

KateJ

Yes its the cubicle I'm tiling. The boxed pipe is close to it and water could spray that way. Tiling is just so much fun - can't tell you how much I'm enjoying it!
Mr Fish - I"ll let you know when they fall off.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This would be a good thread on
'why you should employ a tradesman'
Good on you for giving it a go , could cost you in the long run though :(

K

KateJ

Hello - just found page two of this thread!
No shower door - sturdy rail for shower curtain. It's to let to a tenant and doors break - curtains cheap to replace.
Purple wall survived gaffer tape test (great)!
Yes only one quote because I had every intention of doing it myself.
..and as for Mr Fish telling me I'm wasting time and money and that my tiles will fall off... some people spend days with their expensive tackle maybe catching a fish they throw back when you can get one gutted and ready to cook in Sainsburys!

F

Flintstone

Kate, if you come on here for advice from professional tilers, then throw it back in there face with a you know better, disrespectful attitude, It will serve you right if the tiles fall off or worse

K

KateJ

My gap will be grouted several times until its solid and full and the packet says 'up to 2cm' which seems like the Grand Canyon to me!
I had a pro joiner who left me with uneven walls for the plasterer to clear up - wish I'd done that myself as well!

W

WetSaw

Shower curtain, IMHO, is a very bad idea. You will end up with water where you don't want it especially considering you haven't tanked the whole room and, to be quite frank, the tiling isn't likely to hold water for any length of time. The cost of a shower screen compared to the cost of repairs from water damage is negligible.

K

KateJ

I'll explore the cost but they break.. I tanked another couple of feet into the room where water might go..and the Amico man promises the floor will be OK.
Incidentally - do you think my tiles are going to fall of as well? It looks to me like really good adhesive and if I tried to even move a tile after a few minutes I couldn't shift it. My Baratt Box tiles are still stuck on after 40 years and they didn't spend any money!

W

WetSaw

You've used a dispersion adhesive on tanking so you have vastly reduced its ability to disperse, ie dry.
If you don't grout it for a while you may be OK but it's not the product a professional would use in that situation that why you were advised against it.
I've never known a shower screen to break and I look after holiday lets that have a much harder time!!

Reply to Beginner's tips/errors and how to fix them... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks