Discuss batten first job unsure in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DanB

This is my first job and unsure where to put the batten?

Do i put it above the skirting board if so how high and then there will be a gap above the shower tray.

Dan

IMG_0137.jpg IMG_0138.jpg

L

LM

Hello and welcome Dan :)
To answer your question correctly we'll need more information.
Is this a diy project?
What areas are to be tiled, floor?
What type and size of tiles are to be used?
Have you considered priming, tanking, weight limits?

D

DanB

I've been asked to help out someone has all ready done the floor.
So Around the shower tray and up the wall, back of the toilet and sink and around the window needs tilling.
I will prim the wall before but not said anything about tanking yet.

IMG_0153.jpg IMG_0136.jpg

M

Matt Bott

when working out the height of the Batton you need to consider the shower tray and bottom of the window the skirting and the ceiling as to not end up with a thin cut you are unable to achieve. It looks as though you will need to cut to the skirting because of the tray but how much would depend on if you can go full tile of the tray without having a thin cut elsewhere now once you've decided that you baton under the second tile up. I would consider no baton and tiling straight of the the lowest points after getting them all there about a level perfectly by laying a spirit level along them and tweaking to get perfect if you are not confident doing that I'd suggest baton and cut to skirting and tray to ensure nice finish in case Batton is slightly out. Please be aware not all trays are level or flat this is why I advise a cut to tray if using a Batton, I hope this helps.

O

Old Mod

when working out the height of the Batton you need to consider the shower tray and bottom of the window the skirting and the ceiling as to not end up with a thin cut you are unable to achieve. It looks as though you will need to cut to the skirting because of the tray but how much would depend on if you can go full tile of the tray without having a thin cut elsewhere now once you've decided that you baton under the second tile up. I would consider no baton and tiling straight of the the lowest points after getting them all there about a level perfectly by laying a spirit level along them and tweaking to get perfect if you are not confident doing that I'd suggest baton and cut to skirting and tray to ensure nice finish in case Batton is slightly out. Please be aware not all trays are level or flat this is why I advise a cut to tray if using a Batton, I hope this helps.
Well you confused the hell out of me Matt! Hahaha

D

DanB

Thank you matt I understand better now and I have a few different options. Do you know much about tanking and do i tank two walls or just the one. Can I buy a batten from B&Q is that what i would ask for? what size spacers would you use

Last edited by a moderator:

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thank you matt I understand better now and I have a few different options. Do you know much about tanking and do i tank two walls or just the one. Can I buy a batten from B&Q is that what i would ask for? what size spacers would you use

Tank both walls from doorway to basin.
20x45 dressed white wood ,(straight of course) you can cut and fit legs to batten over tray to prevent breaching the waterproofing.
Would also just check the position of shower unit, looks very close to edge of screen.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Tank both walls from doorway to basin.
20x45 dressed white wood ,(straight of course) you can cut and fit legs to batten over tray to prevent breaching the waterproofing.
Would also just check the position of shower unit, looks very close to edge of screen.

Oh, and 2mm spacers.

Reply to batten first job unsure in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks