Discuss BAL Micromax 2 Grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Canyondust

Hello.

I am looking for a suitable grout for a bathroom which contains a wet shower area.

I was looking at the BAL range of grouts and felt MicroMax 2 (gunmetal shade) would be suitable but given the many types BAL advertise I wasn't sure it was the best choice.
I had thought to use the same for floor and walls to have the same shade, texture etc.

Tiles all ceramic. Floor 600x300 x 9.5, wall 500 x 180 x 8, Mozaics (on sub floor tray) ~50x50x10 on 300x300 backers.

With respect.

J

C

Canyondust

Hi Andys.

That link was an interesting read - I'd like to know what the actually root cause was.

I'm guessing between you both there are other reasons, last experience why the BAL products are not so favourable?

Appreciate your advice.

Regards
James.

R

Rookery

You'll get some people saying use this brand or use that brand. Most have their favourites, me included (Mapei UCP). I think the other guys problem with Micromax was maybe using an old bag that had been open for some time. Maybe he didn't mix it properly? Maybe he wasn't a tiler? He never reported back.

C

Canyondust

I can understand that Rookery.
What I was interested in was related to am I choosing the best/appropriate variant from BAL - superflex, microflex, micromax etc.

I can see lots of good advice for clean mixing vessels, tools and water, plus cured adhesive.

Regards

R

Rookery

I've used many brands over the years and as said before, I prefer Mapei UCP. I'm not a fan of BAL grouts generally but if I had to use them, Microflex would be the only one.

C

Canyondust

Thanks.
Having just had an interesting read of Mapei's 'SELECTION CHART
OF GROUTS AND
FLEXIBLE JOINTS' I didn't imagine such a choice of materials, effects and colours.

For my wetroom wall, floor and tray mosaics I imagine the ultracolour would suffice for all the joints? My only reservation was the quicker curing time it mentions.

Best regards
James.

C

Canyondust

I had a response from a technical service adviser at Mapei based on my original question.
The kind gent said 'the Ultracolor Plus grout will indeed be your best option for walls and floors.'

Regards

C

Canyondust

Thank you Dan - that will be very useful.
I will make sure I mix the grout bags before any water added too. Lots of good advice. Thank you.

Reply to BAL Micromax 2 Grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks