Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Bad limestone made good in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Wanted to put a quick post on, with some pictures attached to give others,who may be tearing their hair out some hope that black limestone can be saved and with a bit of work, can get the results you were hoping for.
After days of invaluable researching on this forum, we took the advice that had been suggested to others and attempted to put right the mess the builders had left us with.
Our only bugbear was that after taking advice from the forum no one ever seemed to post photos of their results. So here are ours....

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

cfrazerg

I left some of the tiles till the day after as I had to stand somewhere to wipe the excess oil off. Also wanted to see a comparison whilst I was sealing them
.After speaking a few times to LTP helpline I used the grout stain remover, very diluted, left it 2 days and then used LTP stone oil - just one coat so far. Decided against using the colour intensifier after speaking to the helpline as they said it wasnt necessary to use both.

OP
D

Dan J

I left some of the tiles till the day after as I had to stand somewhere to wipe the excess oil off. Also wanted to see a comparison whilst I was sealing them
.After speaking a few times to LTP helpline I used the grout stain remover, very diluted, left it 2 days and then used LTP stone oil - just one coat so far. Decided against using the colour intensifier after speaking to the helpline as they said it wasnt necessary to use both.
.After speaking a few times to LTP helpline I used the grout stain remover, very diluted, left it 2 days and then used LTP stone oil - just one coat so far. Decided against using the colour intensifier after speaking to the helpline

Hello, your patio looks great, can I ask what sort or Rato you used when watering down the grout stain remover please?

OP
D

Dan J

Hello, your patio looks great. Can I ask what Rato you used when watering down the LTP grout remover please?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I would be cautiouse this product on your black limestone, this is an acidic product!,, if used or at all you will burn your stone grey; as the pictures above

Not suitable for calcium based limestone or marbles or any none acidic resistant stones ( on the label) , speak with the ltp tech line, if they recomend, good luck

OP
D

Dan J

I would be cautiouse this product on your black limestone, this is an acidic product!,, if used or at all you will burn your stone grey; as the pictures above

Not suitable for calcium based limestone or marbles or any none acidic resistant stones ( on the label) , speak with the ltp tech line, if they recomend, good luck

OP
D

Dan J

Thanks lithofin Bob, I've read about the acid damage, this repot though is the only one I have read that has used it and got away with it? I will speak to LTP first, good call. My issue is the mortar pointjng splaying out each side of the joint, I've tried pressure washing and natural stone concrete film remover with no joy at all. The rest of the patio I sealed first and the pointing is fine but this stone circle I must have had a bit of a moment and forgot. The curse of black limestone indeed! Any advice gratefully received.. Dan

Reply to Bad limestone made good in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock